WikiConference India 2011/Submissions/Fair Use Initiative
|This is an open submission for WikiConference India 2011.|
- 13:21, 30 August 2011 (UTC)
- Title of the submission
Fair Use Initiatives
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, or presentation)
Workshop preferaby; else, presentation.
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- State of your origin (Country, if you are not based in India)
Bengal (West/Paschim : NPOV}
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Bar Council of West Bengal
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (maximum 500 words)
Sources of knowledge that ought to be in the public domain, including Public records, are fettered by copyright and other laws in India. This also constrains Wikipedia Users in contributing appropriate material. For example, it would appear that the texts of Statutes of India may not be uploaded to Wikisource in view of the copyrights thereon. The situation is the very opposite in, say, the USA.
There is already the Wikipedia:WikiProject India/Fair use and the suggestion to make efforts to bring data such as from the Census of India under appropriate Creative Commons Licenses; calling for domain expertise from the various relevant fields, including experienced Wikipedia Users/admins.
The workshop format could bring together a group of such domain experts within the Wiki community who could intensively work together during the Conference to evolve more and better understanding of these issues as applicable to Wikipedia, as well as effective plans/initiatives to address these needs.
- Track (Community/Knowledge/Outreach/Technology)
- Will you attend Wikiconference if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, most probably.
- Slides or further information (optional)