WikiConference India 2011/Submissions/Integrating OpenStreetMap to Wikipedia
This is an open submission for WikiConference India 2011.
- 08:04, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
- Title of the submission
Integrating OpenStreetMap to Wikipedia
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, or presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- State of your origin (Country, if you are not based in India)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Member of Wikimedia India Chapter
- Democratic Alliance of Knowledge Freedom
- M-Tech student at Cochin University of Science and Technology
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (maximum 500 words)
OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world.The maps are created using data from portable GPS devices, aerial photography, other free sources or simply from local knowledge. The purpose of OpenStreetMap-Wikipedia integration is to display free OSM's maps within Wikipedia's articles. This first need infrastructures (servers and associated server strategy) as well as some programs for smooth display into the articles and accessibility.This project is for anyone who wants to create maps for Wikipedia using data from OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap offers raw mapping data currently with the creative commons license by-sa 2.0 , and also provides the tools to create rendered map images. Such a rendering is a derivative work which can be published on Wikipedia with the same open license. Wikimedia already started a project to integrate OpenStreetMap-Wikipedia after Developer meetup 2009 held in Berlin by Wikimedia Germany.Now there is an intensive and ongoing cooperation between the German Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap. Because the latter is a worldwide project, that cannot be divided into local versions as in Wikipedia the work of this co-operation has to be done in every language and thus for all language versions of Wikipedia. Wikimedia Germany bought special toolservers for this project. The OSM has to be integrated with all local language wikipedias. Local resource can be well created by local people who may not know English. They can only contribute in their local language hence it is important. OSM is already in creative commons license. Wikipedians have already started some projects to create maps in wikipedia. But they haven't connected it with OSM. They are using different softwares like Inkscape for this. This effort can be reduced. The great advantage for Wikipedia users is, that the map provides geografical-located links to all other Wikipedia articles in its language, that include coordinates.
- Track (Community/Knowledge/Outreach/Technology)
- Will you attend Wikiconference if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)