WikiConference North America
WikiConference North America 2016 was a continental Wikimedia conference, first held as WikiConference USA in New York City in 2014 and in Washington, D.C. in 2015. It was devoted to topics concerning Wikimedia, education, free culture, and digital rights. It follows a tradition of wiki conferences held in New York with a mix of invited sessions and unconference days.
- Official site is here: Wikiconference.org.
- Information about the online collaboration for the "Wiki Culture Crawl", a pre-conference event (October 7) is here.
- The schedule is on the WikiConference website and on Meta.
WikiConference North America User Group
On the last day of WikiConference North America 2016, the organizing team announced the creation of a permanent group that will plan WikiConference North American 2017. The mission of the group is to coordinate the planning and hosting of WikiConference North America in future years. Additionally, the WikiConference North America User Group will document best practices and share lessons learned with other Wikimedia groups planning and hosting conferences and similar events.
Membership in Wikimedia North America User Group is open to all people interested in supporting the mission of the group. People from WMF affiliate user groups and other active Wikimedians in North America are invited to join. Outreach will occur across North America in order to attract members with diverse interests and skills.
October 2016 in San Diego
The third annual WikiConference North America (formerly: WikiConference USA) was held in San Diego, October 7–10, 2016, hosted by Southern California Wikimedians and other North American chapters/usergroups. Please see the grant proposal here.
Please indicate interest in attending or volunteering, and share topics you would like to see covered at the conference.
- I'm glad to support and volunteer for this conference, as a member of the Wikimedia NYC and Wiki Education Foundation boards. I look forward to GLAM, education, and outreach topics.--Pharos (talk) 17:53, 6 May 2016 (UTC)
- I am proud to support and organize this event. I am interested in your wants and needs as a member of the Wiki community. Swedam (talk) 18:01, 6 May 2016 (UTC)
- As a devoted wiki enthusiast and long time conference organizer, I am delighted to be part of the organizing team for hosting this conference in San Diego this year, and helping launch more regular wiki meetups for the SoCal region. This is going to be Awesome! Please let us know if you are interested in being part of the fun this October or anytime - we are hosting monthly meetups already in San Diego (4th Saturdays), and there are wonderful events in LA and other parts of SoCal frequently. DrMel (talk) 18:44, 6 May 2016 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:08, 6 May 2016 (UTC)
- Another Believer (talk) 04:03, 7 May 2016 (UTC)
- Rosiestep (talk) 03:43, 8 May 2016 (UTC)
- Mohamed Udhuman (talk) 10:09, 14 Sep 2016 (UTC)
- Sydney Poore/FloNight (talk) 18:20, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- I'm in norcal, but let me know if I can help out from up here. Hella excited! Legoktm (talk) 19:19, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- I intend to spend time in SoCal in October. I will enjoy spending a weekend in the wiki world. I am willing to participate on a panel, as a speaker, or as a volunteer.--TonyTheTiger (talk) 19:36, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- Sure, sounds like fun. More on gender gap, systemic bias and harassment issues. Montanabw (talk) 20:15, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- I was very involved in DC's WikiCon, as the institutional contact for NARA. Happy to help again if I can. Dominic (talk) 20:36, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- Considering I ran the volunteer coordination last year, I'd better support it. Mitch32(Protection is not a principle, but an expedient.) 22:35, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- Last year's conference was great. Hoping to attend and learn a few things about conference organizing for a potential event further north on the West Coast. SounderBruce 22:37, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- WCUSA WashDC was a great experience. Hoping to attend in San Diego and learn more about the many editor outreach and information curation initiatives, in turn to use it in my own Wikilife. अभय नातू (talk) 02:21, 17 May 2016 (UTC) (Abhay Natu)
- Peaceray (talk) 15:15, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
- — Rhododendrites talk \\ 20:04, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
- KellyDoyle (talk) 14:12, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- It's in my home town! I will be there. Stanistani (talk) 07:15, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 07:59, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
- The Wordsmith (talk) 14:20, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
- --Pine✉ 07:07, 21 May 2016 (UTC)
- I might be able to attend if I can get away from my usual obligations. -- Llywrch (talk) 15:47, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
- Hoping to have a Spanish track and more Mexican community :) --ProtoplasmaKid (WM-MX) (talk) 16:51, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 22:42, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
- I'm very interested in going, even more if there's a Spanish track! --Andycyca (talk) 00:45, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
- I am interested in attending. My focus is on the sign language wikipedia projects using Sutton SignWriting, specifically on the American Sign Language Wikipedia along with the other test wikis of sign language. -Slevinski (talk) 15:25, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
- Possibly. --Rschen7754 21:20, 28 May 2016 (UTC)
- James Allison (talk) 23:57, 28 May 2016 (UTC)
- superchief - i can speak to wikisource and matters transcription Slowking4 (talk) 03:34, 30 May 2016 (UTC)
- Mayhaps. NativeForeigner (talk) 01:29, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
- FASTILY 05:01, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
- I'm very interested in participate and also I'm able to help! --Christian Cariño (talk) 22:09, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
- I will be helping with promotion of this conference, but might not be able to attend, as there will be a huge digital humanities conference within our university system for the first time. RachelWex 22:57, 6 June 2016 (UTC)
- I am interested in attending and participating, even presenting on the work I've been a part of recently, facilitating collaboration among WP, GLAMs, and educators. I'm interested in those topics and diversity issues. Rtbhive (talk) 16:04, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- Last year's conference was great; can't wait to go to this year's. ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 17:45, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
- Gamaliel (talk) 17:49, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
- I am interested in participating. I look forward to local wiki and outreach topics.Wikicology (talk) 09:29, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
- Barbara (WVS) (talk) 13:18, 19 June 2016 (UTC) - I would like a session on Womens Health.
- I'm looking forward to attending this. I'm interested in wikipedia topics related to GLAMs and higher ed. Marykat23 (talk) 21:32, 2 July 2016 (UTC)
- I'm very interested in attending :) Padaguan (talk) 16:17, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
- I hope to attend. :) Quiddity (talk) 17:52, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
- Yup. Keegan (talk) 03:48, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
- Hoping to come down and join in the conference! --MarkTraceur (VOLUNTEER) (talk) 20:38, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
- If I get a scholarship, hopefully... Kevin (aka L235 · t · c · enwiki) 03:08, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
- I'm in Monterey, California but I would be interested in attending.-- ☭🎆🌎🎼🎺🐦 22:19, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
- Regards, James (talk/contribs) 01:42, 14 August 2016 (UTC)
- San Diego was my US Navy home port for Vietnam war Tonkin Gulf deployments, and I often return to visit friends and enjoy southern California's coastal climate. I plan to be there all four days, and would be interested in hearing from coordinators if there is something I might do to help. Thewellman (talk) 03:12, 14 August 2016 (UTC)
- I hope to attend lcgpbdp13:20, 31 August 2016 (UTC)
- Interested in outreach, networking, learning about building a robust nonprofit organization as board member of Cascadia Wikimedians User Group. Also addressing ENWP systemic challenges wrt declining editor base, admin cadre, inflection point of text-based medium, ease of use, and integrity (SEO/spam/promotional editing). - Brianhe (talk) 11:55, 23 August 2016 (UTC)
- w:en:user:Geraldshields11 as a still photographer
- The inaugural WikiConference USA was held May 30 – June 1, 2014 at New York Law School.
- The second WikiConference USA was held October 9–11, 2015 at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
Earlier wiki conferences in the United States were billed as regional or international, but not national, events:
- Wiki Conference New York, 2009 – 2012
- Wikimania 2006 was held in Boston
- Wikimania 2012 was held in Washington, D.C.