WikiIndaba conference 2018/Report/Antoni Mtavangu
On behalf of Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania, I offer my sincere thanks and appreciation to Wikimedia Foundation and WikiIndaba 2018 organizing team for making it possible for the Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania to participate in this conference through me.
The following are the programs i was able to participate during WikiIndaba 2018 conference:-
- ̈The following are some of the things i shared with my fellow Wikimedians.̈
- My general experience on Wikimedia movements in Tanzania.
- ̽My inputs on the challenges facing citation of articles related to African languages on Wikipedia and how to overcome it.
- Challenges about lack of referencing published sources for women articles in Africa.
- People to be involved in Wikimedia movements (such as Journalists and librarians).
- The use of oral citation in some African topics.
Almost everyone was physically new to me except JRabah (WMF) although I had interactions with some others before through email, hangout and other communications means. Generally, the following are some of the Wikimedians I was able to interact with:
Connections from Conference Participants
|No.||Name of participant||Country||Username||Affiliation||Photo|
|1||Jack Rabah||JRabah (WMF)||WMF|
|2||Felix Nartey||Ghana||Flixtey||Open Foundation West Africa|
|3||Zachary McCune||United States||ZMcCune (WMF)||WMF|
|4||Blossom Ozurumba||Nigeria||Blossom Ozurumba||Nigeria|
|8||Woubzena Jifar||United States||WJifar_(WMF)||Wikimedia Foundation|
|9||Gereon Kalkuhl||Germany||Gereon K.||Wikipedia|
|11||Florence Devouard||France||Anthere||Wiki in Africa|
|12||Uzoma Ozurumba||Nigeria||Uzoma Ozurumba||Nigeria|
|13||Rossouw van Rooyen||Namibia||Dumbassman||Wikimedia South Africa|
|14||Perside Rosalie||Cameroon||Rosalieper||Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group|
|15||Egbe Eugene||Cameroon||Eugene233||Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group|
|116||Samuel Guebo||Côte d'Ivoire||African Hope||User Group Côte d'Ivoire|
|17||Katherine Maher||United States||Katherine (WMF)||WMF|
|18||Isla||South Africa / Zimbabwe||Islahaddow||Wiki In Africa|
|19||Cornelius Kibelka||Germany||Cornelius Kibelka (WMDE)||Wikimedia Deutschland|
|20||Hanna Petruschat||Germany||Hanna Petruschat (WMDE)||Wikimedia Deutschland|
|21||Derick N. Alangi||Cameroon||Alangi_Derick||Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group|
|22||Erina Mukuta||Uganda||Erina Mukuta||Planning Wikimedia User group Uganda|
|23||Alex Stinson||United States||User:Astinson (WMF)||Movement GLAM|
|24||Olaniyan Olushola||Nigeria||Olaniyan Olushola||Nigeria|
|25||Joy Agyepong||Ghana||Joy Agyepong||Open Foundation West Africa|
|26||Fayçal Rezkallah||Algeria||Fayçal Rezkallah||Algerian Wikimedians UG|
|27||May Hachem||Egypt||May Hachem93||Egypt Wikimedians User Group|
|28||Reem Al-Kashif||Egypt||Reem Al-Kashif||Egypt Wikimedians User Group|
|29||Zita Ursula Zage||Ghana||Celestinesucess|
|30||Mompati Dikunwane||Mompati Dikunwane||Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana|
|31||Dumisani Ndubane||DNdubane (WMF)||WMF|
|32||N'fana DIAKITE||Mali||KAG1LP2MDIAKITE||User Group Mali|
Below are some of the important things i got from WikiIndaba 2018 conference:-
- How to proceed with the process of Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania application (Felix & Dumisani)
- Possible GLAM programs and partnership to be implemented in our local community.
- How to associate Librarians to work with Wikimedians to get reference and research support.
- Knowledge on the use of Wikidata Query.
- Experience from my fellow wikimedians on how their user groups around Africa works, challenges they face, way forward to solve them.
- Idea of organizing WikiIndaba in Tanzania (in future).
- The idea of involving journalists as the way to overcome the challenge of lack of referencing (citing) published sources to write about women in Tanzania/Africa.
- How to proceed with the rapid grant for creating Wikipedia awareness in Tanzania editathon.
My general opinions
- There should be more involvement of Wikimedians in global events (where possible).
- More involvement of women Wikipedians (editors) in Wikimedia movements to help closing the gender gap existing in Wikipedia.
- Customization of some Wikip(m)edia rules and regulations to fit the needs of local communities.
I would like to appreciate the efforts done Zeineb Takouti and WikiIndaba 2018 organizing team in general for ensuring that VISA applications and related complexities were solved. Lastly, many thanks to all Wikimedians who participated in WikiIndaba 2018 for their diverse inputs, discussions,experience, suggestions and advices they shared with me.