WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Asking Questions of Wikidata: How to use the Wikidata Query Service
- Submission no. 025
- Title of the submission
- Asking Question of Wikidata: How to use the Wikidata Query Service
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Workshop, 1 hour
- Author of the submission
- Alex Stinson (Astinson (WMF)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Astinson (WMF)/Sadads
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This workshop requires basic understanding of Wikidata, including its data structure. Wikidata is a powerful tool that can be used for a variety of purposes: from prioritizing new content that can be added to various Wikimedia projects, asking abstract questions about content contained in other parts of the Wikimedia ecosystem, and creating complex maps, graphs and timelines. All of these question asking activities are run through the Wikidata Query Service, an engine that utilizes the language SPARQL to ask questions of Wikidata.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
This workshop will introduce:
- the Wikidata query service, and the basic structure for writing a query in SPARQL .
- How to use Wikidata queries to power other technologies, such as:
- Where to find help developing queries on Wikidata and social media
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects, Technology
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- intermediate, participants require prior knowledge of Wikidata and it's data structure
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 50-60 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Prefer to be after the introduction to Wikidata, and before the Wikidata Workshops proposal
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).