WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Designing and Running a Wikidata Workshop
|WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has not yet been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 026
- Title of the submission
- Designing and Running a Wikidata Workshop
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Alex Stinson
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Astinson (WMF)/Sadads
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- User:Astinson (WMF)
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Once you have learned how Wikidata works, how do you teach others? Unike Wikipedia Editathons, where a basic knowledge of Wikipedia, encyclopedias and research can be assumed among workshop attendees, Wikidata introduces a number of complications: Wikidata requires understanding of Linked Open Data, other Wikimedia projects, and an understanding of how linked data can be used. However, Wikidata workshops can be very powerful opportunity for introducing content into the Wikimedia ecosystem that can build diversity and equity into the Wikimedia Community.
In this workshop, we will introduce:
- What are the important pieces of information to explain and describe to new Wikidata contributors?
- What kinds of activities provide tangible and easy ways to contribute to Wikidata?
- What tools can be used to facilitate Workshops?
- Where can you find handouts and flyers to support your Wikidata workshop?
A special focus during this workshop will be on using Wikidata workshops to fill strategic gaps on Wikimedia projects, and using workshops to enrich specific collections of data.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Participants in this workshop will walk away with basic strategies for designing a workshop relevant to their local community.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Advanced, recommend that participants have passing familiarity with the Wikidata Query Service, and other outreach events.
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 1.5-2 hours: though we could use a shorter workshop to introduce the content in this curriculum, to do a fully interactive workshop, I would prefer for it to be longer, so that participants have a chance to practice some of the skills.
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Not available yet
- Special requests
- Please schedule after the Wikidata introduction workshop and the Introduction to the Wikidata Query Service.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
Marks (out of 10)