WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Raising awareness for Wikipedia: Lessons from Nigeria & beyond
- Submission no. 021
- Title of the submission
- Raising Awareness for Wikipedia: Lessons from Nigeria
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Panel presentation
- Author of the submission
- Zachary McCune - Global Audiences Manager, Communications
- Jack Rabah - Global Reach (Middle East & Africa), Partnerships
- Olushola Olaniyan - President of Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Last year at Wiki Indaba, a discussion began about Wikipedia's low awareness in Nigeria. A year later, the User Group in Nigeria and the Wikimedia Foundation have collaborated on 2 major projects to increase Wikipedia awareness in the country. We have worked on radio programs and videos, using social media influencers and Nollywood stars, to reach more than 12 million people. Now we would like to share the results of these pilot projects and offer lessons for other user groups.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Insights into developing awareness efforts (how to set audience targets and choose media formats)
- Understanding of budget costs for different types of media projects
- How the Wikimedia Foundation can support community media projects
- Best practices for doing promotional work (e.g. ads, radio programs, or newspaper messages) to support Wikipedia
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- New Readers
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Intermediate to advanced community volunteers
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
Presentation will include details from the following projects/case studies:
- New Readers/Raising Awareness in Nigeria
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Anthere (talk) 00:16, 16 January 2018 (UTC)
- Gereon K. (talk) 11:07, 16 January 2018 (UTC)
- Alangi Derick (talk) 09:57, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
- Blossom Ozurumba Talk 15:11, 5 February 2018 (UTC)