- Submission no. 064
- Title of the submission
- Using existing open license text on Wikipedia
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- John Cummings
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- John Cummings
- Country of origin
- United Kingdom
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
A huge number of organisations produce open license text compatible with Wikipedia, including over 10,000 academic journals, however very little of Wikipedia has been created using this text. There is a huge opportunity to enrich Wikipedia with text written by experts on a wide range of subjects.
Over the past year I have created a process and documentation to reuse open license text on Wikipedia as part of my work at Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO. This process includes a Visual Editor compatible attribution template for the source of the text and a metrics to track usage and page views of content from a single source, a group of sources or a whole organisation.
The process has been used by experts at UNESCO who are new to Wikipedia and existing Wikimedia volunteers to create and improve over 200 articles using text from UNESCO seen over 2 million times each month. For example the English Wikipedia article for Violent Extremism has been created using only text from UNESCO publications. The process and documentation will be available on English, French, Spanish and Arabic Wikipedias by the time of the conference.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- An understanding of the process of reusing existing open license in Wikipedia that will work in their language.
- Hands on practice of creating or improving an article using existing open license text.
- How this process can be used by partner organisations to provide a new audience to their work including an understanding of the metrics tool to measure reach.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
All welcome, the process is usable by people new to Wikipedia
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- If my lightning talk is accepted I would like to do that first.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).