WikiIndaba conference 2019/Submissions/Ideas to strengthen local African content
- Submission no. 020
- Title of the submission
Ideas to strengthen local African content
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikimedia Morocco User Group
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Generally, the content about Africa in Wikimedia projects is unfortunately poor no matter the language. The reasons are various and independent (western editors lack of knowledge, African editors have other interests, difficulty to find sources, etc.). In this presentation, the aim is to explore the different ways that can be followed to enrich the local content. This is in fact a responsibility of the local communities to ensure that their culture is properly represented through different articles and pictures. The presentation can be split in two main parts: (1) The representativity of African content in big languages (English, French, Arabic, Spanish, etc.) and (2) the local content in local Wikipedias. Focus on how to improve local African content in both will be discussed.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
After attending this session, participants should be able to recognize and apply new ways to enrich content about their culture in Wikimedia projects. It is also expected from advanced participants to share this knowledge and methods with their own community in order to encourage writing about the local content and empower it.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Beginning, intermediate, advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Youssefbhy (talk) 21:38, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
- Mounir Touzri (talk) 16:06, 23 October 2018 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 09:26, 25 October 2019 (UTC)