Wiki Loves Africa/Participating country event guidelines
|This project page documents a project currently in progress. But submissions are closed...|
Guidelines to submitting a Country Engagement Plan for Wiki Loves Africa 2015
The following are suggestions to consider before submitting a Country Engagement Plan from teams across Africa to participate in the Wiki Loves Africa 2015 competition.
- Deadline for submitting your country's engagement plan: 23rd August 2015.
- To submit your country team's proposal: Write it up on meta and add a link to this section.
- Theme for 2015: Cultural Fashion and Adornment.
Please note: In the 2014 contest there were two points or criticisms that were noted:
- 1) The general quality of pictures could be (should be) improved
- 2) The usage of the images on Wikipedia pages stayed low (=compared to other contests) at 6%
Wiki Loves Africa 2015 is very interested in having new groups and countries on board. Here are some guidelines to being involved as a country team:
- Familiarise yourself with the project by reading the WMF grant application for Wiki Loves Africa 2015.
- We would value your endorsement of the project on the application page.
- Work with your groups to develop an engagement plan. The plan should consider the following:
- a cohesive plan of events from September to December 2015;
- an event and communications budget that should not exceed the 820 USD (guideline: 700 USD event, and 120 USD communication material) allocated to each country;
- a list of the core team members (including email addresses);
- a list of possible partners and targets for local funding (in-kind or monetary); and
- an idea of how to encourage quality submissions, e.g. an alliance with local photography groups, etc..
- bonus: a post-competition extension project where the images are used in Wikipedia articles that are expanded or created, or used to create a Wikibook, or section in WikiVoyage or other wikimedia project.
- For events, please consider the following options:
- a press launch, if you feel it is necessary;
- an event aimed at introducing Wikimedia projects to a new audience that could potentially contribute and add to the user group team - a hub, interest group, school/ university, etc.;
- a quality photography demonstration by a local photography group before a wikitakes event;
- a photo hunt party;
- a collaboration with local designers or fashion event, or fashion and adornment heritage institution;
- a post-competition (or late in the competition) edit-a-thon or cat-e-thon to improve the usage of the images that have been submitted, and improve articles that the images could be related to.
- Wiki Loves Africa
- Wiki Loves Africa 2014
- Wiki Loves Africa on Commons
- The Wiki Loves Africa website for 2015
- The Wiki Loves Africa website for 2014
- African Wikimedians mailing listen:Wikipedia:Wiki Loves X
- Grants:PEG/Africa Centre/Wiki Loves Africa 2015
- For the postmortem about Wiki Loves Africa 2014, please see c:Commons:Wiki Loves Africa/Results and best practices