Wikibase Community User Group/Meetings/2021-04-29/Notes
Archived notes from Etherpad of the 2021-04-29 meeting.
16:00 UTC, 1 hour, Thursday 29th April 2021 (and same time last Thursday of every month)
Online meeting on Google Meet: https://meet.google.com/nky-nwdx-tuf
Participants (who is here)
- Diane Shaw (Smithsonian Libraries & Archives)
- Jeff Goeke-Smith (Enslaved.org, Matrix, Michigan State University)
- Jeroen De Dauw (https://wikibase.consulting/)
- Mohammed (WMDE)
- Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry (https://WikiFur.com)
- Georgios Mavropalias
We invite you to come and share out about your project or what you're working on around Wikibase.
- Mohammed introduces session -- anyone has anyting to share out about their project?
- Laurence: Describes issues with shape expressions using cradle
- Shape expressions/schemas (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Wikidata:WikiProject_Schemas): getting ShEx2: https://shex-simple.toolforge.org/wikidata/packages/shex-webapp/doc/shex-simple.html?data=Endpoint:%20https://furry.wiki.opencura.com/query/sparql&textMapIsSparqlQuery&schemaURL=//furry.wiki.opencura.com%2Fwiki%2FSpecial%3AEntitySchemaText%2FE1 - and Cradle (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Cradle) working: https://furry.wiki.opencura.com/tools/cradle/?#/shex/E2 on https://WBStack.com using this one weird trick: https://github.com/wbstack/cradle/issues/2#issuecomment-818352157 (and CORS Everywhere: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/cors-everywhere/ ).
- Converting upload filenames to URLs in SPARQL: https://furry.wiki.opencura.com/wiki/Project:SPARQL/examples#Convention_series_with_data_and_logo_URL using MD5(): https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#func-md5
- Wikibase EDTF (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Wikibase_EDTF) - a new, standardized - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Date/Time_Format - date/time datatype with support for periods/intervals, seasons and expressing uncertainty.
- Affiliate status: do we want to keep it? (Benefits/costs outlined on Telegram)
- If so, who completes/submits the annual report, which is overdue for 2020? Who will be the primary and other official contacts? - do we need an election? https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_user_groups/User_Group_Primary_Contact_Rights_%26_Expectations
- See also: A short history of the Wikibase Community User Group: https://www.lehir.net/a-short-history-of-the-wikibase-community-user-group/
- Other community roles?
- Wikibase Registry ( https://wikibase-registry.wmflabs.org/ ) WikiGnome?
- Expert hub? Discourse/Mattermost? (Not to replace Telegram, which people expressed intent to keep.)
- WikidataCon 2021 involvement? https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikidataCon_2021
- Jeroen demos the new extension they created about EDTF that can be used on some entities that need range of dates
- Laurence tried the extension to do convention intervals. (can only use day precision in interval, but if you want to be more specific, use start time and end time as qualifiers to the main EDTF period/interval - the EDTF datetime format for a single datetime can be precise to the second, with time shift/zone)
- open question: What you end up with if you have 2 start times. and you don’t know which time to relate to each other (was an issue with just having regular start time + end time properties)
- Discussion about the usergroup
- Mohammed to talk to Manav at the foundation about need to be done at the moment about the potential derecognisation about the usergroup - time pressure is reportedly not critical
- one of the next steps is putting up a nominations page with roles definitions
- Laurence volunteers to start a page if no one objects (perhaps for seven days, then seven days election - should announce on maiiling list and on wiki talk as well as Telegram)
- Sadik mention that they have experience with project management and are available to help structure the usergroup
- To expand the community's reach Jackie suggests to include in discussion mailing lists that are popular with librarians, e.g. PCC WIkidata Pilot <PCCWIKIDATA@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV
- Upcoming WIkibase office hours: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_LD4_Wikidata_Affinity_Group/Wikibase_and_WBStack_Working_Hours
- The live session have an informal schedule of last thursday every month; we may stick to that moving forward
- The next session will happen on May 27th where we're expecting a formal presentatio by a partner. More details to come