- For the existing content on Wikibooks aimed at younger readers, see Wikijunior
|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|Status||Stale (could be re-opened)|
|Reason||Stale proposal. --GZWDer (talk) 06:45, 8 February 2017 (UTC)|
|What is the proposed name for the project?||Wikikids
|Proposed project tagline||The free encyclopedia for 8-13 years old that everybody can make better|
What is the project purpose? What will be its scope? How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|Wikikids is intended to be a wiki encyclopedia designed for children aged 8 to 13, open to contributors of any age.|
|How many wikis?
Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?
|One wiki per language|
|How many languages?
Is the project going to be in one language or in many?
|There will be several language versions
If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?
|No. The Special:EmailUser function may be disabled.|
|Development wiki||Vikidia in French (21 000+) - Wikikids.nl in Dutch (18 000+) - Vikidia in Spanish (4 000+) - Vikidia in Italian (2 100+) - Vikidia in Catalan (290 +) - Vikidia in Basque (260 +) - Vikidia in Russian (110+) - and Vikidia in English (1 600+)|
|Interested participants||See below|
The Wikikids proposal is intended to be a wiki encyclopedia designed for children aged 8 to 13, open to contributors of any age. It aims both to offer a suitable corpus of knowledge for children and to let some of them, as well as teenagers them be involved in building it. It is very close to Wikipedia in its aim and functioning, except the age range.
Wikikids is a working title for it, or the New or WMF Wikikids, to avoid confusion with the already existing Wikikids.nl. The proposal was first set up in 2005 and discussed even earlier (2003). It was renewed by different users.
Such wikis do exist and are doing rather well in French and Dutch.
- 1 Rationales
- 2 Questions and answers
- 3 Readers age range and expected editors
- 4 Rules & Policies
- 5 Existing projects to be adopted or not into Wikikids
- 6 Project plan and potential schedule for the proposal
- 7 Previous discussions and proposals
- 8 People interested
Many children already use Wikipedia daily, for the substantial content and the well known convenient way it is to find material on any subject. However, it is often said that Wikipedia article are too long and difficult for them. Many children really need and appreciate when it does exist to have a more readable content for them.
- Wikimedia Foundation's vision, mission and values
Rationales or grounds for this project share most of those of Wikipedia and other sister project. Wikikids can response to:
- the vision statement which states:
- "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment."
- The mission statement:
- "The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally."(...)
The level of Wikipedia articles makes them hardly accessible for children or even other people on some subjects. While they may read it for lack of a better resource, the fulfilment of these vision and mission certainly justify another encyclopedic rendering on each subject, in another wiki. Moreover, children and teenagers can be active in the building process and gets to feel both empowerment and motivation for the content as a reader.
Young people can be involved in the process, alone or within educational activities organised by schools. They may also gain some digital/media literacy by learning about the functioning of a resource they will use extensively few years later: Wikipedia, although the goal is still to create content an the "knowledge resource" benefit of such a project.
- Recommendation to the WMF regarding version of the Wikipedias, aimed at children
The project meets a recommendation of the 2010 Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content, requested by the resolutions of the WMF Board : Commissioning Recommendations from the Executive Director.:
(...)It is recommended: (...)3. That, however, the Foundation investigate the creation of a “WikiJunior” version of the Wikipedias, aimed at children under the age of 12, either as a stand-alone project or in partnership with existing and appropriate educational institutions.
- Rights of the Child
Wikikids can meet with some articles of the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child. Among other:
"Article 13 - 1. The child shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of the child's choice."
Questions and answers
For frequent questions/objections See: Wikikids/Questions and answers
Readers age range and expected editors
Wikipedia articles may often be too difficult for teenagers as for younger children. Though, to be really different from Wikipedia, Wikikids concentrates on younger children: old enough to read and to have access to internet content, too young for Wikipedia. Eight-year-olds have usually reach a pretty good reading level, whereas teenagers have other needs and opportunities. The 8 to 13 age range is just indicative; also, not every article can be exactly on the same level. Older people could find useful information on it and less than 8 year old children could be curious enough to have a look, too.
Everybody is invited to edit Wikikids, without age restrictions. There are no mandatory or forbidden roles or status related to the users real ages. Wikikids needs grown-up contributions and enable children and teenagers to write and to be involved in building the encyclopedia.
- Adults involvement is essential for building content that is of quality and significance, fostering basic maintenance: to watch and ensure a certain stability in the functioning of the wiki,
- children's involvement, even when they don't produce very long articles, lets appear work on subjects that interest their peers, it responds to their aspirations and their desire to participate and they definitely can take their share in growing the content and in maintenance tasks,
- older children, teenagers that don't (yet) edit Wikipedia can have the chance to do it here, and to make a good work, perhaps with Wikipedia articles as a guideline. The advantage is both the amount of work they can bring, and what this work can bring to them, like for the younger ones and like any Wikipedia editor,
- school projects are welcomed provided they consider the wiki's rules and content objectives.
Rules & Policies
Rules and policies can be very closed to wikipedia's, and develop as another community wiki.
Existing projects to be adopted or not into Wikikids
Should Wikikids as a WMF wiki come to existence, it could be open for already existing wikis to join. At the moment there are at least two wikis that are doing rather well measured by activity and audience.
All versions of Vikidia would be candidate to be adopted into this WMF wiki.Vikidia no longer request to be adopted within this project (Explanation on Wikikids/Vikidia's withdrawal of the adoption proposal) Astirmays (talk) 17:23, 5 January 2014 (UTC).
- the group of teachers who started WikiKids.nl (Dutch) is interested but has not provided an official answer yet,
- for English, see: Wikikids/Relation to Simple English Wikipedia
Basic statistics on existing projects are Spécial:Statistiques on fr.vikidia, Speciaal:Statistieken on wikikids.nl and Google Trends on Wikibooks, Commons, Wikiversity, Wikisource and Vikidia in France or Wikibooks, Commons, Wikiversity, Wikisource und Wikikids in the Netherlands.
Project plan and potential schedule for the proposal
The proposal has to fit into the new project process of the WMF, especially the #Adopting an existing project into the Wikimedia movement. There is an earlier example: Wikivoyage was based on older wikis and is now part of the movement as a new 'sister project'.
A potential schedule for the process is:
- review existing wikis and contact them. Done See below Wikikids/Review of current existing wikis akin to Wikikids,
- write a requests for comment (Requests for comment/Wikikids or Wikikids/Requests for comment)
- fix the basic principles and rules for the wiki: Wikikids/Basic principles -> to check and discuss,
- launch the requests for comment,
- technical matters, technical requirements, choosing the final project name and domain name, promotion... Wikikids/Technical matters
- February 2014
- Wikikids/Vikidia's withdrawal of the adoption proposal, yet Vikidia in English was launched in February 2014, see on blog.wikimedia.fr.
Previous discussions and proposals
Foundation-l mailing list
Education mailing list
On the wikis
- Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Children's English (2003 and 2006),
- first Wikikids proposal, January 2005,
- Talk:Wikikids/2005 - 2009
- Wikichildren 2006,
- strategy:Proposal:Wikipedia exclusively for Kids (2009); strategy:Proposal:Wiki for kids (2009); strategy:Proposal:Wikipedia Junior (2010),
- Wikipedia:User talk:Jimbo Wales/Archive 86#New Wikipedia for Kids October 2011,
- Village pump proposals, WikiKids - Vikidia: encyclopedia for children, October 2011 (Archive) October 2011,
- w:simple:Wikipedia:Simple talk/Archive 96#WikiKids - Vikidia December 2011,
- w:Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals)/Archive 90#Primary Section for Children July 2012,
- Wikikids/Wikichild January 2013,
- (Spanish) Wikinfantil, on es:wp, june-july 2013,
- (Deutsch) Neues Schwesterprojekt „Wikikids“? on wp:de:Wikipedia:Kurier, august 2013,
- Wikikids/Excerpt from the 2015 Strategy/Community consultation, excerpt from the 2015 Strategy/Community consultation on the "Wikipedia for children" idea,
Requests for simple language Wikipedia projects
- German: 2005; 2007; 2010 (following a Projekt Kinderleicht, to write simple articles for children); 2010;
- French: 2006; 2008; 2010; 2012;
- Spanish March 2006 and November 2006
- Hebrew (2010); Chinese (2012),
- Projects in simple languages, statement by the Language committee, june 2011.
- Opposition to Simple English Wikipedia
WM blogs, external resources
- (French) La documentation et Vikidia, May 5th, 2010, Michel Barré; (Spanish) Vikidia y la documentación; (English) Wikikids/Documentation and Vikidia,
- Supporting an Online Community for Kids, by Andrés Monroy-Hernández, Scratch Team at MIT, about the Scratch Online Community, 2011.
- Vikidia in English opens today, let’s build a children wiki encyclopedia!, February 2nd, 2014.
- Free Children’s Encyclopedia Project, Concept for a child-oriented encyclopedia wiki (“Wikipedia for children” / “Klexikon project”), Michael Schulte and Ziko van Dijk, march 2015.
- (العربية) Wikipedia for Kids, 2 avril 2015, Faiza Medjahed (User:Flouer), WikiArabia 2015.
- Vikidia, an equivalent of Wikipedia for children and the information and participation rights, Mathias Damour - contribution to the 7th International Janusz Korczak Seminar in Geneva on May 30, 2015. On the topic Childhood Protection and Participation.
- The Klexikon: a new wiki encyclopedia for children, July 15th, 2015.
Since January 2013
- Eduardofeld (talk) 13:55, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Clarayipmw (talk) 10:00, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
- ---ecarv- (talk) 17:28, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
- Hope you will success! Chihonglee (talk) 06:22, 16 February 2013 (UTC)
- I would like to join your project, please mail to chihonglee777gmail.com. --Gabrielchihonglee (talk) 13:03, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- FrankyLeRoutier (talk) 13:08, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- — TBloemink talk 18:02, 4 April 2013 (UTC)
- Tempodivalse [talk] 21:26, 4 April 2013 (UTC)
- Hprmedina (talk) 18:50, 10 April 2013 (UTC). Nice project.
- Ziko (talk) 21:07, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- TheK (talk) 18:36, 13 April 2013 (UTC)
- Jmg.cmdi (talk) 18:24, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- Jean70000 (talk) 23:40, 29 June 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 15:33, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- ReviDiscussSUL Info 07:13, 27 July 2013 (UTC)
- -Mh7kJ (talk) 22:16, 29 July 2013 (UTC)
- LlamaAl (talk) 21:45, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- ···Vanischenu「mc|Talk」 14:01, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Mcnabber091 (talk) 01:40, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 06:49, 4 September 2013 (UTC)
- Linedwell@frwiki 18:46, 6 September 2013 (UTC)
- aashaa (talk)--Aashaa (talk) 23:03, 12 September 2013 (UTC)
- Klipe (talk) 16:47, 19 October 2013 (UTC)
- Adler92190 (talk) 17:45, 20 November 2013 (UTC)
- --ValterVB (talk) 17:38, 24 November 2013 (UTC)
- Glaisher [talk] 18:06, 10 December 2013 (UTC)
- --Dry Martini (talk) 11:59, 18 December 2013 (UTC)
- Larsnl (talk) 19:58, 5 January 2014 (UTC)
- Dipl-Ingo (talk) 08:56, 3 March 2014 (UTC) I'm only working on the german website, so please use my german disc to contact me.
- Lotje (talk) 06:18, 9 March 2014 (UTC)
- 188.8.131.52 14:42, 9 June 2015 (UTC) Interested in working with kids and free knowledge.
--MDsmajlik (talk) 17:27, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- Freddy2001 talk 07:50, 5 July 2016 (UTC)