- Country: Singapore
- City proposed: Singapore
- Proposed dates: 28 June 2007 to 4 July 2007 (June is the only time where SGpedians' are free, when the term break starts), alternatively: 4-10 July 2007 (4th of July celebration) or 8-15 August 2007 (Singapore National Day Weekend - National Holiday)
- Contact person(s): Terence Ong and en:User:Tdxiang
- Singapore is a city-state located in Southeast Asia, which is 137km north of the equator. Singapore is near the South China Sea and the Straits of Malacca, and Malaysia is to the north of the island. Singapore has the highest standard of living in Asia and its the 22nd wealthiest country in the world. Singapore is a financial hub with a liberal economy, being the world's easiest place to start a business. The country has an efficient transportation system with a large number of Singaporeans using public transport everyday.
Singapore on Wikipedia
af:Singapoer • ar:سنغافورة • an:Singapur • ast:Singapur • bg:Сингапур • ca:Singapur • cs:Singapur • da:Singapore • de:Singapur • et:Singapur • el:Σιγκαπούρη • es:Singapur • eo:Singapuro • eu:Singapur • fa:سنگاپور • fr:Singapour • fy:Singapore • gd:Singapore • gl:Singapur - 新加坡 ko:싱가포르 • hi:सिंगापुर • hr:Singapur • io:Singapur • ilo:Singapore • id:Singapura • is:Singapúr • it:Singapore • he:סינגפור • ka:სინგაპური • kw:Singapour • ku:Singapûr • la:Singapura • lv:Singapūra • lb:Singapur • lt:Singapūras • li:Singapore • hu:Szingapúr • mr:सिंगापुर • ms:Singapura • nl:Singapore • ja:シンガポール • no:Singapore • nn:Singapore • oc:Singapor • ug:سىنگاپور• pam:Singapore • nds:Singapur • pl:Singapur • pt:Singapura • ro:Singapore • ru:Сингапур • sm:Sigapoa • sq:Singapori • scn:Singapura • simple:Singapore • sk:Singapur (štát) • sl:Singapur • sr:Сингапур • sh:Singapore • fi:Singapore • sv:Singapore • tl:Singapore • ta:சிங்கப்பூர் • th:ประเทศสิงคโปร์ • vi:Singapore • tg:Сингапур • tr:Singapur • uk:Сінґапур • vo:Singapurän • zh-min-nan:Sin-ka-pho • zh-yue:新加坡 • zh:新加坡 •
- brief description of venue (room sizes, number of rooms etc.)
- Suggestion 1a : Singapore Management University located right in downtown Singapore with easy access to rapid trasit station, w:National Library, Singapore, hotels and shops. Campus facilities booking can be seen here:
- Main hall: Conference Hall (1 in Administration building, 1 in School of Accountancy) 300 seater S$464.00/Hour → S$1856/3712 half/full day
- Seminar rooms (plain; Located at School of Business, School of Accountancy, School of Information Systems and School of Economics & Social Sciences): 45 seats S$112/h → S$448/896, 55 seats S$137/h → S$548/1096, 70 seats S$175/h → S$700/1400
- Seminar rooms (networked; Located at School of Business, School of Accountancy, School of Information Systems and School of Economics & Social Sciences): 45 seats S$225/h → S$900/1600, 55 seats S$275/h → S$1100/2200, 70 seats S$350/h → S$1400/2800
- Classrooms (Located at chool of Business, School of Accountancy, School of Information Systems and School of Economics & Social Sciences): 45 seats S$40/h → S$160/320, 55 seats S$48/h → S$192/384, 70 seats S$61/h → S$244/488
- Lounge facilities: Available
- Other rooms (organisation, staff, speakers, interviews/press, storage): Available for use
- Suggestion 1b : w:National Library, Singapore located right in downtown Singapore with easy access to rapid trasit station, Singapore Management University, hotels and shops. Wifi available. The facilities are:
- Main hall: Drama Center 615 seater, managed by National Arts Council, $4500/8000 per half/full day
- Seminar rooms: 45 - 70 seater, or the Pod observatory 400sqm room
- Insufficient size — according to , there are only two seminar rooms, max seated capacity 70 ($450/day) and 120 people ($600/day). All other facilities are exhibition spaces for standing only.
- Lounge facilities: Available
- Other rooms (organisation, staff, speakers, interviews/press, storage):
- Suggestion 2 : National University of Singapore located in park environment of Kent Ridge, a few miles from the city centre.
- Main hall: University Cultural Centre: Theater=450 seater (S$1500/3000 half/full-day) and Hall=1700 seater (S$4000/8000 half/full-day)
- Seminar rooms: Various rooms within the university
- Lounge facilities: University Cultural Center courtyard and foyer
- Other rooms: Various rooms within the university
- Suggestion 3 : NTU Nanyang Executive Centre located in Jurong, western Singapore
- Nanyang Auditorium 1736 seats S$3600/first four hours
- Nanyang Executive Centre Auditorium 220 seats S$800/1200 half/full day
- Lecture room (x6) 45 to 84 seats S$400/600 or S$350/500
- Seminar rooms (x3) 30 seats S$200/300
- Function Hall 1 200 seats S$500/800
- Function Hall 2 100 seats S$250/400
- Accommodation: 97 single rooms S$88/night, 55 twin share rooms/S$108, 18 executive/suite rooms S$118-158
- Technical facilities
- Existing technical installations
- In NUS webcast implementation is not a problem. See the Teaching Facilities here
- Wireless Network implementation
- Wifi is available in all universities in Singapore. Commercial wifi is available throughout the cities mostly in cafes. Free wifi in mcdonalds. You can detect home wifi using netstumbler too.
Singapore Management University, Administration
Singapore Management University, School of Accountancy
National Library, Singapore
- Visas: Citizens of most countries do not need a visa for a stay of up to 30 days. Exceptions (most notably India and Russia) are listed here: 
- Distance from international airport(s): 20 km from downtown, well accessible by public transport (rapid transit, bus, taxi)
- Distance from mainline station(s):
- Tanjong Pagar Station, located right in the center of the city, caters train from Thailand and Malaysia.
- Harbourfront Ferry Terminal, located at the south-center part of the city, is the place for ferry from Indonesia and Malaysia, as well as cruise lines.
- Raffles Marina and West Coast Marina: If you own a yacht or boat, you can dock it here. Located at the south west of the city.
- Estimation of travel costs from all continents: US$500-1000 (North America, Europe), US$200-700 (Asia-Pacific, Australia).
- Distance from most accommodations: All accommodations are accessible through public transport.
- In Singapore Management University: Major hotels as well as budget options are within walking distance.
- In National University of Singapore: If staying at on campus at the Visitors lodge or Pasir Panjang Inn. If not, need to take bus to campus.
City venues will allow Wikimanians to choose different types of accomodations. However, the Singapore Management University does not have a residence halls as at this time of writing. Therefore, other types of accomodation are widely available, hostels, guesthouses and hotels of all classes are available. Deluxe hotels are near the venues, with a number of budget hotels nearby. Guesthouses and hostels tend to be located outside the city, but one can take the bus and MRT to town. Our city's public transport is fast and efficient, so time and efficiency is not a problem. For the last two choices, residence halls are available on site, and are located together with the universities in the western part of Singapore. Internet access is widely available at most places, with WiFi access and payable broadband for higher end hotels. Disabled access is available at most places.
Option 1a and 1b
It's very unlikely that Wikimanians can stay in this hostels by the SMU, due to the small size and only three blocks, which most will be taken up by students of the university. The hostel is expected to be ready by the second quarter of 2007, and delays may be expected. Rooms are modern and nicely equipped with furniture. There are laundry facilities, BBQ pits, a meeting room and a lounge as well. Budget hotels are located in the vicinity, and they are reasonably priced.
Budget hotels are a good option and are located in the city, though not very near the proposed venue. Some recommended budget hotels are listed below.
There are other hotels which are cheaper, but are located mainly in Geylang and Little India. There are a number of budget hotels in Chinatown, Balestier Road and Joo Chiat. These areas are located quite far away from the venue.
For those who want a comfortable room and good facilities. A number of recommended hotels in the prime Orchard Road shopping belt and in the proposed venue's vicinity.
Option 2 (NUS)
Student hostels are available on site and has enough accomodation for visitors. Rates unknown at this time of writing.
Option 3 (NTU)
Accomodation is limited here, and therefore, one has to find a hotel or a hostel outside the campus.
Local sponsorship opportunities
Possibility of local sponsorships
- w:Lee Foundation
- w:National Library, Singapore: May be giving sponsorship like using their venues for free, like what they did for Singapore Bloggers Convention (the National Library is new, nice interior, and has wifi access as well - but not free wifi, you have to buy prepaid access from ISP)
- Shaw Foundation
- Singapore Internet Research Center, School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University
Singapore is a tiny island state bordering Malaysia and Indonesia, easily accessed from the neighbouring countries. Organizing Wikimania event in Singapore should attempt to bring together Malaysian and Indonesian representatives too.
Some pictures of Singapore
- Weaknesses of the proposed location ...and how to overcome those weaknesses
- Singapore's government has policies which many Wikimedians might consider offensive or draconian, such as: tight media controls, severe penalties for drug possession, homosexuality and capital punishment.
- Include a panel discussion during the event about Singapore's policies, and how they present an alternative view about cultural diversity to some other countries. Also touch upon how an understanding of this can help make Wikimedia a truly global organisation.
- Strengths of the proposed location
- English is one of Singapore's official languages, and is spoken by almost everyone: no need for most Wikimedians to learn new languages
- Internet connection is widely available
- Good and relatively cheap public transport and food, with high standards of cleanliness
- Hotel accommodation is relatively cheap in Singapore
- Direct flights from all over the world (Changi Airport is well-connected, has excellent facilities and is among the busiest in the world)
- An opportunity for Wikimania to engage the Asian community!
- Central, equatorial location provides opportunity for Asian and Australasian Wikimedians to attend a Wikimania who have previously been prevented from attending due to distance and cost