Wikimania 2008/Judging criteria
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following list shows the criteria the jury will use to assess each bid.
- Please note this is a work in progress. The list of criteria hereafter will be closed on the 30th of August at the latest. This said, the following criteria will be taken into account.
- Accommodation: proximity to venue, suitability, cost, variety available, availability for the event as well as for the hacking days and post-event meetings
- Funding: amount of local sponsorship available
- General location: proximity to an international airport, facilities nearby (restaurants, tourist sites for outings, etc)
- Internet access: access within the venue, access within the accommodation, access within the social areas. Whether or not free access can be provided. Whether or not the area is covered by wi-fi. Provision of laptop rental (and cost of this)
- Local laws, customs, attitudes, and culture: whether these are likely to provide any benefits or problems for attendees, and whether they are in keeping with the values of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Press: Media interest and PR opportunities: prior and expected interest, both locally and internationally
- Organizing team: number of local Wikimedians willing to help, skills available (technical, networking, PR, financial, English language for communication with WMF/international communities, etc.), experience with arranging prior events and conferences
- Rotation of location: whether the location is too close to Wikimania location in the preceding years
- Social areas: whether a space for socialising is available, whether that space is open 24 hours a day, proximity to venue and accommodation, facilities available (food, drinks, internet access)
- Cost: costs of travel to the location from various countries, particularly those with high numbers of Wikimedians, options available for travel (alternatives to flying). Cost of lodging stay for attendees. Cost of travel within city.
- Venue: suitability, proximity to accommodation, number and size of rooms available, whether Wikimania will be the sole user of the venue during the event, venue owner's experience with handling conferences of this size
- Visas/immigration: any issues with attending this location from any other location, difficulty and cost, possibility of local help with getting these (such as Chapter support)