Ground rules to keep in mind
Experience has proved that the following requirements should be followed as closely as possible.
- Dates should be from the beginning of July to mid August and should include a week-end.
- The maximum number of participants should be 500 people, the minimum 300.
- The venue must provide accommodation within walking distance of the conference grounds, preferably with lots of hanging out spaces where Wikimaniacs can get together informally.
- The venue must have seminar/conference rooms that can hold up to 100 people and no less than 30 people at one time for the sessions. It should provide at least one main hall that can hold up to 500 people. Count on having around 5/6 simultaneous tracks in the program. (i.e. the venue must accommodate 500 people at any time in 5/6 rooms).
- Geographical diversity -- having 2008's Wikimania in a different city, country, continent and/or hemisphere than 2006 or 2007's -- is a factor in decision-making. The weighting in judging criteria will say how much.
Please copy and paste this template for a city application into a page titled "[[Wikimania 2008/xxx]]", where xxx is the name of the city. This page lists the basic requirements for an application, but is in no way exhaustive, you may add to your application all information you feel should be brought to the attention of the jury. Please make sure you give all price quotes with an equivalent in dollar US (USD).
- City proposed: please add your proposal at [[Wikimania 2008/Bids/name of city]]
- Proposed dates (e.g., Friday to Sunday, with possibility of arriving on the Thursday night and leaving on Monday morning):
- Contact person(s):
- brief description of venue (room sizes, number of rooms etc.)
- Main hall:
- Seminar rooms:
- Lounge facilities:
- Other rooms (organisation, staff, speakers, interviews/press, storage):
- Socializing areas (Garden, lounge etc.), their capacity and the hours at which they are opened/closed:
- Contacts with conference venue (emails, price quotes etc.)
- Technical facilities
- Existing technical installations
- (on site Audio-visual...)
- Wireless Network implementation
- Existing technical installations
- (existing? to be built? easiness of implementation?)
- Location of main accommodation facilities
- (where can the attendees be hosted. On site, off site, how far from conference venue? For attendees? For VIPs?)
- Room details and price range
- (What's the accommodation like? Dorms, B&B, Hotel? Singles, doubles? How much does it cost per person and per day?)
- Catering (one meal a day, breakfast is a plus)
- (Where do we eat, how much it costs)
- Contacts with accommodation partner(s)
- (Have you contacted the proposed locations, exchange of emails, price quotes etc.)
Wikimania traditionally hosts two parties, one for attendees (capacity of 250-350) and one for sponsors and VIPs (capacity 40-60).
- Attendees party(ies) propositions
- (location, how to get there, what's cool and relaxed about it)
- Sponsor party(ies) proposition
- (location, how to get there, what's chic and high profile about it)
Travel and transportation
- Estimation of travel costs from all continents:
- Distance from international airport(s)and how do we get to the location:
- Local transportation and local social opportunities
- (Wikimania usually does not offer dinner. What are the surroundings of the location like? Lots of restaurants and places to hang out? What is the local transportation like?)
- Visa issues
- (who needs a visa, how easy is it to obtain it)
- Tourism opportunities
- (when people travel from far away, they like to come for more than just the conference. What are the tourism opportunities around the location?)
Local sponsorship opportunities
Possibility of local sponsorships
- (no name needed, just "company X, 4000 USD or will provide 300 beds)
(Who stands behind this bid, who will be able to help locally, names and what they can help with)
Anything you feel should be brought to the attention of the jury.
- Weaknesses of the proposed location ...and how to overcome those weaknesses
- Weakness 1
- Solution 1
- Weakness 2
- Solution 2
- Strengths of the proposed location
- Strength 1
- Strength 2