Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Program/Liaisons

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This is a working page to be used as the main resource to document and coordinate the liaison's work. Please find further details on Wikimania 2016 program and please find the the different kind of sessions at Wikimania Esino Lario on Wikimania 2016 website - submissions.

Background[edit]

The Wikimania Esino Lario program benefits from the involvement of a team of community members ('Thematic Liaisons') invited to contribute to the program as liaisons.

Their role is representing the interests of their group/community and more specifically:

  1. Making sure the program includes presentations their community is interested in listening to. This means providing and collecting feedback on the program.
  2. Making sure Wikimania offers discussions and training their community is asking for or needs. This means collecting proposals for discussions and requests for training.
  3. Making sure members of their community attend discussions to guarantee that the interests and the diversity of our community is represented.
  4. Getting the best speakers to provide an overview of what is their group/community about and what is going on (the overview is a “user digest presentation”, video recorded and meant to be used online for further dissemination).
  5. Suggesting “guest speakers” to invite to enrich discussions.
  6. Collecting posters of the relevant projects happening in their group/community (posters are important to make sure the overview has some linked documentation and it provides a relevant international dimension).
  7. Inviting their group/community to submit “critical issues presentations”.

Liaisons have been arbitrarily selected. They do not curate all the content related to their group/community, but they have the role to make sure the program is relevant for their group/community. The focus of the liaisons is on what their group/community is interested in listening to, rather than what their members are interested in telling and teaching the rest of the movement.

Education[edit]

Liaison: User:Thelmadatter

User digest speaker(s): Filip Maljkovic and Esther Solé

Guest speaker(s):

  • I will be bold and nominate myself, Joe Corneli (Arided, here), to talk about work with the Peeragogy project, and our reflections on support for peer learning in Wikimedia projects. These are summarized in a 600 word abstract which advances the thesis that Wikimedia should work to spin off a "real" university. Further details are available in a 23-page paper that will shortly appear in the Proceedings of Pattern Languages of Programs 2015 and in the public domain (CCZero) Peeragogy Handbook. (Note: the opinions in the abstract are my own, although I will aim to give a fair treatment of the other perspectives that I have encountered.)
  • Please add suggestions here.

What we would like to learn: Results of the survey about what people would like to see presented education-wise are:

1) The future of the education program: what should be the goals and strategies (short and long term), dynamics of collaboration, networks, support, etc. I think we should work on the pitfalls that we identified at Anna’s panel with 80% identifying this as a priority.

After that, there is not clear hierarchy.

With 40% we have :

  • How to make video tutorials
  • Keys to a successful Wiki assignment (top 5 things you need? Training? Community support? Assignment design/rubric? etc.)
  • WikiCamps

With 35% we have

  • Student engagement in Wiki assignments (compared to traditionalassignments)
  • Wiki*edia in context: how the education program should address cultural

differences and various gaps (gender gap, infrastructure gap, education gap)

What we would like to teach:

Hi, I want to share this on Wikimania 2016 Education track. In Taiwan we are trying a new experiment - bring Wikipedia training in international voluntary service. We are collaborating a group of students who are going to Cambodia and teach them how to use Kiwix to help teachers in rural area of Cambodia to use Wikipedia. Please see the ESEA newsletter for further detail. --Liang(WMTW) (talk) 14:30, 1 December 2015 (UTC)

Hi there :) I'd like to share our unique experience in WEP Egypt with other attendees in Wikimania 2016. It is unique in terms of how is it structured (we have no graded or non-graded school assignments yet still have the highest contribution rate in the Arab World). Specifically, I'd like to share our future plan, what we have done so far to achieve it, and the pace of our progress. In our attempt to reach our aim, we dealt with infrastructure and education gap. I would like to share how did we handle them and what could make it better.--Reem Al-Kashif (talk) 14:54, 23 December 2015 (UTC)

  • I present Wikipedia in lots of classrooms. If needed, I could share for a few minutes how this works in New York City. I would hope to do this in a panel with others and not as a stand-alone presentation. Also, I could support someone else's presentation if someone else wanted to speak on the same topic. I want a perspective shared but it need not be mine. Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:21, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
@Bluerasberry: A panel sounds awesome! I'd very much like to take part in this.

Ways of addressing new contributors (students, senior citizens); types of methods and user survival rates.--Juandev (talk) 16:18, 8 January 2016 (UTC)

I'm interested in presenting something (or facilitating a discussion) on Wikipedia and Higher Education. --Jbmurray (talk) 16:21, 19 January 2016 (UTC)

Hello! I would like to share the University of British Columbia experience in running its 20k members strong Wiki for over 8 years now. Topics we find interesting: scaling and user management, the use of namespaces for specific purpose, likke courses, documentation, general, faculty specific (pros and cons), breaking barriers between faculties and disciplines (Maple Syrup story!), and the use of MediaWiki as content repository that feeds UBC's websites Novak73 (talk) 19:43, 20 January 2016 (UTC)

Younger children participation

I'd like to chat and tell about the experience of wikis designed for children, be it a similar presentation that the one I subitted 2 years ago on : Submissions/Children can have their own Wikipedia, the Vikidia experience ...or in another way. Vikidia in French and Wikikids in Dutch, which functionning is elaborate on Wikikids, are still growing with a healthy multiage community and about 300 000 unique visitors a month for fr.vikidia.org (See Google Trends on Wikibooks, Commons, Wikiversity, Wikisource and Vikidia in France or Wikibooks, Commons, Wikiversity, Wikisource und Wikikids in the Netherlands.) How can it fit in our program? Astirmays (talk) 23:49, 7 January 2016 (UTC)

Gender gap[edit]

Liaison: Bishakha Datta

User digest speaker(s): TBD

What we would like to learn: TBD

What we would like to teach: TBD

GLAM[edit]

GLAM Community Liaison[edit]

Shani Evenstein

User digest speakers[edit]

Liam Wyatt & Jane Darnell

Guest speakers suggestions[edit]

Please suggest speakers that you believe would be interesting and can contribute to the GLAM track. Explain your suggestions and provide any info you have that can help us get more information and / or contact the speaker.

  1. Ray Kurzweil - Shani (talk) 14:50, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
  2. Sal Khan - Shani (talk) 14:50, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
  3. (Not to belabor the point, but the location of Wikimania 2016 will severely affect what kind of speakers we can get to come.) Some suggestions. --User:Fuzheado
    1. New Smithsonian secretary
    2. Brewster Kahle (speaker in 2006)
  4. Yochai Benkler - Harvard University Berkman Center (he was already a speaker in Haifa) -- Beat Estermann.
  5. Luciano Floridi - Oxford Internet Institute
  6. Dr. Victoria Nash - Oxford Internet Institute
  7. Antje Schmidt, Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Projekt Digitale Inventarisierung -- Barbara Fischer
  8. Michael Peter Edson, Associate Director/Head of Digital at the newly forming United Nations Live, Museum for Humanity, formerly the Director of Web and New Media Strategy at the Smithsonian Institution John Cummings (talk) 14:58, 9 February 2016 (UTC)

Discussion suggestions[edit]

Please add discussion topics that you believe are important for the community to discuss. Please follow these guidelines in proposing something:

  • What: discussions with an objective.
  • Target: advanced and beginners.
  • Where: Primary School.
  • Objectives: taking a decision, browsing possible solutions for a problem, making latent problems and issues emerging, considering a topic from different perspectives.
  • Length: 30 minutes.
  1. What kind of technical developments and tools do we urgently need as GLAM community? How can we communicate these best and push to make these happen?
  2. What kind of dashboard can be developed for GLAM ... key indicators to track where content from a museum, archive or library collection is used? (articles, views / hits)
  3. What is the status of a facility like "campaigns" to allow for a small subset of collaborators to track activity? - User:Fuzheado
  4. What additional functionalities/tools could help attract more new users to interact with GLAM content on Wikimedia Commons? (complement metadata, re-use it on Wikipedia, etc.) -- Beat Estermann
  5. What are the “main drivers” and “major show stoppers” at various levels of advancement of GLAM outreach in different countries? -- Beat Estermann
  6. How to support science institutions - zoos, scientific societies, etc.
  7. Creating sustainable Wikipedian in Residence Positions - time and funding
  8. How are GLAM staff presently engaging on Wikipedia/Wikimedia/Wikidata as part of their job? What are the challenges and mutual expectations in the short run / in the long run? (this would particularly make sense if some of the GLAM staff presently engaging on Wiki as part of their job were attending Wikimania) -- Beat Estermann
  9. Data partnerships (maybe this goes in the Wikidata section?) John Cummings (talk) 14:48, 9 February 2016 (UTC)

Training / Workshops suggestions[edit]

Please add training topics that you believe can benefit community members. Please follow these guidelines in proposing something:

  • What: meant to enhance skills.
  • Target: advanced and beginners.
  • Where: Multimedia room of the new museum.
  • Length: 1.5 hours each.
  • Topics: focus on practice.
  1. Explaining and demonstrating the value of open to a GLAM audience, including the difference between CC0 and CC-BY etc.
  2. GLAM on Wikidata (not sure whether this belongs in this track though, but why not?) -- Beat Estermann
  3. How to do data imports in Wikidata. From using OpenRefine to clean the data to the actual import itself. -- User:Spinster
  4. Using the Education Dashboard to track event results
  5. Categorizing museum images on Commons
  6. Using a toolkit of formats and methods to provide information and training on openness and licensing to institutions -- Barbara Fischer, Lilli Iliev

Building the GLAM KIT library[edit]

  • Title: Building the GLAM KIT library
  • Purpose: motivating the edition learning patterns on the international range of GLAM formats
  • Target audience: GLAM activists & GLAM coordinators
  • Length: 3 hours if we really think it as an editathon of learning patterns - 1 hour if we focus on listing topics of LP to be edited later and a classification
  • Max number of people (only if there is a limitation on your part): 15 - 20
  • Facilitator(s): Barbara Fischer (WMDE) Susanna (WMSF) and Ilario (WMCH) are so far endorsing the idea
  • Details: We have foto safaris, editathons and hackathons ..., brilliant formats for the needs of volunteers willing to improve Wikimedia projects. But how to win a GLAM institution as a partner with these? How do these become GLAM formats? What needs of GLAMs may be satisfied through them? How to satisfy more specific GLAM needs? (see Learning pattern on GLAM partnerships for more information). Proven in many years of field work we learned: it helps a lot to convince GLAM institutions to become partners if you are able to offer them formats for how to cooperate & this as concrete as possible. Apart from the "Wikipedian in Residence"-format there are other types of events that address diverse needs GLAM institutions or GLAM staff might have. Needs like understanding Free Licenses better, learn how to mass-upload their media files to Wikimedia Commons, how to link to Wikidata, how to bond with Wikimedia volunteers in their area... Together with volunteers WMDE has developed a set of GLAM formats each embracing a specific need of GLAM. So have other chapters. Let's learn from each other! In order to more easily share our experience, we like to build a concise library on GLAM formats using the established structure of Learning patterns.

Migrating the WLM database[edit]

  • Title: Workshop on how to migrate the WLM database and make sure everything continues to work
  • Purpose: In the project Connected Open Heritage one of the things to do is to migrate the WLM databas to Wikidata. As there are a lot of tools and bots using the database we have to make sure everything keeps working. The purpose of this workshop is to get database people, tool builders and WLM organisers together to make sure things are documented, taken care of and that nothing breaks in the process.
  • Target audience: WLM organisers, Bot operators, Wikidata
  • Length: 1 hour
  • Max number of people (only if there is a limitation on your part):
  • Facilitator(s): André Costa, Jean-Fred
  • any other detail that will help others get a sense of the workshop and what you want to achieve.

Posters suggestions[edit]

Please let us know if you would like to present a poster about your project in the community village. Describe the project and the poster. Please follow these guidelines in proposing something:

  • What: provides an overview of what is going on in the movement in different countries and locations.
  • Target: everyone.
  • Where: Former Museum/collaborative space.
  • Posters will be presented in the community village, with brochures & help desks and will be managed by WMDE since they are in charge of the community village.
  1. Happy to contribute the Wikipedia Space posters here for newbies, but I'm not sure how many newbies there will be in such a remote village. -- User:Fuzheado
  2. Poster on Medicine and GLAM showcasing the ongoing GLAM projects related to medicine
  3. Poster about the Flemish Museums on Wikidata project -- User:Spinster
  4. Poster on UNESCO project, it would be really nice to have lots of posters about other projects as well, in a similar vein to the leaflets in 2014 but posters not leaflets. John Cummings (talk) 13:39, 2 February 2016 (UTC)

Lightning talks suggestions[edit]

Please let us know if there is any topic you would like to give a lightning talk about.

  • Where: TBD.
  • Length: 5-10 minutes.
  1. Importing data from an organisation into Wikidata John Cummings (talk) 13:52, 2 February 2016 (UTC)

Have we missed anything??[edit]

Please let us know if there is any kind of GLAM session that you would like to see and is missing from the above list:

What we would like to learn[edit]

  • How to explain a GLAM that public domain works should be digitalised and exposed to public via Wikipedia.--Juandev (talk) 16:19, 8 January 2016 (UTC)

What we would like to teach[edit]

  • The staff here at Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso would be happy to present at Wikimania2016 their experience with the GLAM OBC project and the impact of the collaboration with WM on their activities and projects. This could also be relevant for the session on Research, as it deals with the dissemination via Wikipedia of research outputs on one specific topic (press and media freedom)--Davide Denti (OBC) (talk) 16:11, 29 December 2015 (UTC)

Legal[edit]

Liaison: Deror Avi

User digest speaker(s):

What we would like to learn:

  • Whats the difference between legal and public policy?--Juandev (talk) 16:45, 5 January 2016 (UTC)

What we would like to teach:

Public policy[edit]

Liaison: Dimi

User digest speaker(s):
Alek Tarkowski
As European Policy Fellow for Creative Commons, Alek leads the project "OER Policies for Europe". He is also one of the driving forces behind Communia, the European association that advocates for policies that expand the public domain and increase access to and reuse of culture and knowledge.

What we would like to learn:

  • Internet Shutdowns
  • What is online censorship
  • Sustainable Development Goals
  • Interaction between open licensing/open policies/copyright
  • The role of the Wikimedia movement within larger internet movements
  • EU copyright harmonisation

What we would like to teach:

  • Give newbies an overview of the main policy issues
  • Show how and where political decision-making can be influenced
  • Provide the tools necessary to campaign
  • How society benefits from freedom of panorama

Research[edit]

Liaison: Daniel Mietchen (talk)

User digest speaker(s):

  • Please put suggestions here.
    • A regular contributor to the Research Newsletter
    • Someone who has organized a research-related Wikimedia contest
    • Some active participant from a research-related WikiProject on any Wikimedia project
      • E.g. someone who worked on research-related topics before they became newsworthy (e.g. before the person/ topic received a Nobel Prize) or who got involved afterwards
    • Along with other WRN writers including User:Tbayer (WMF) and User:Aaronshaw, I have digests of Wikimedia research from the previous year at Wikmanias2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010 and 2009. I'd be happy to coordinate this again. —mako 04:05, 13 January 2016 (UTC)

Guest speaker(s):

What we would like to learn:

  • Please put suggestions here.
    • Ways in which research and Wikimedia can support or inspire each other
    • How to collaborate thematically across wikis

What we would like to teach:

  • Please put suggestions here.
    • Coverage of research-related topics across Wikimedia
    • Scholarly workflows

Technical[edit]

Liaison:

User digest speaker(s):

What we would like to learn:

  • How to manipulate template data.
  • template creation
  • python bot operating

What we would like to teach:

WikiProject Med[edit]

Liaison: James Heilman

User digest speaker(s): I have also been nominated here [1]. I am happy to do this if people wish.

What we would like to learn:

  • Barriers to translation (a group discussion)
  • metrics related to Wikipedia and medicine

What we would like to teach: New tech tools, translation update, partnerships / collaborations.

  • If needed I could speak on Wikipedia's use as a communication tool for organizations doing public health educational outreach. There are other people who could speak on this topic instead of me and I would support someone else doing this especially if that got someone new to Wikimania to speak. This could be done with a panel to present whatever is new. Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:18, 5 January 2016 (UTC)

Commons[edit]

Liaison:

User digest speaker(s):

Guest speaker(s):

  • Please put suggestions here.

What we would like to learn:

What we would like to teach:

  • use of VicugnaUploader

Wikipedia[edit]

Liaison:

User digest speaker(s):


Guest speaker(s):

  • Please put suggestions here.


What we would like to learn:

What we would like to teach:

Wikidata[edit]

Liaison: --Tobias1984 (talk) 15:48, 23 November 2015 (UTC) (but would gladly work in a team)

User digest speaker(s): Most likely User:Lydia Pintscher (WMDE)

Keynote speaker Most likely somone from the Watson team

Presentations:

  • ArticlePlaceholder extension
  • Editing client redesign
  • ORCID
  • Wikidata tags in OSM

Discussions & Hackathons

  • Would be good to have 1 session per day for discussions or hackathons. Topics are:
  • Wikisource and Wikidata
  • Wikispecies and Wikidata
  • Wikidata Ontology
  • Wikidata: How to improve quality and add more sources
  • Wikidata: Fighting vandalism
  • Wikidata: Helping and improving smaller wikis

What we would like to learn:

  • Wikidata used for science data
  • News about interwiki connections between Wikidata and infoboxes in Wikipedias. Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:25, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
  • I'd very much like to have a session about how to import data sources into Wikidata John Cummings (talk) 14:46, 9 February 2016 (UTC)

What we would like to teach:

  • Pywikibot session
  • Sparql session
  • Lua for Infoboxes

Wikisource[edit]

Liaison: : Aubrey (talk) 16:40, 3 January 2016 (UTC)

User digest speaker(s):

What we would like to learn:

What we would like to teach:

Wikivoyage[edit]

Liaison:

User digest speaker(s):

What we would like to learn:

What we would like to teach:

WMF[edit]

Liaison: Ellie Young and María Cruz

User digest speaker(s): TBD. Topic: WMF Work on Public Policy and Advocacy

What we would like to learn: How to best support Wikimedia communities in different contexts.

What we would like to teach: How WMF processes and resources can best support the movement.

Strategies related to territories[edit]

Liaison:

User digest speaker(s): TBD.

What we would like to learn: the state of communities and thematic organisations around the world so that we can learn from each other projects, challenges and successes (i.e. Iberocoop, Africa, Wikipedia offline and on mobile phone)

What we would like to teach:

  • State of the wiki communities in Africa (Wiki Loves Africa, Primary School Project, Nigeria School Project, WikiIndaba, WikiArabia, Wiki Loves Women, Open Africa, Glam Ghana, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Earth, JoburgPedia etc.) Anthere (talk) and Islahaddow (talk)
  • I would like to hear an update on South Asia. It would be nice to hear representatives from India and Bangladesh especially. Nepal and Pakistan chapters are still new but Nepal had a great table presentation in 2015 Wikimania. Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:24, 5 January 2016 (UTC)