Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2016-06-26

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

In-person meeting, 2016-06-26, Wikimania 2016 at Esino Lario, Italy[edit]

Present[edit]

  • James Forrester (Chair)
  • Deror Avi (Secretary)
  • Manuel Schneider
  • Florence Devouard
  • Iolanda Pensa

Guests present at the Chair’s request:[edit]

  • Andrew Lih
  • Marc-André Pelletier
  • User:Waxmiguel

Members absent[edit]

  • Ellie Young
  • Carlos Barcenilla
  • Jeromy-Yu Chan
  • Orsolya Virág Gyenes
  • Muhammad Yahia
  • Iván Martínez
  • Ed Saperia

Call to order[edit]

The Committee came to order at around 20:00. The Chair observed quorum.

Reports[edit]

The Chair reflected on the discussion session at Wikimania 2016 on the future of Wikimania and how the Committee could work to better reflect the desires of the Wikimedian community and serve the movement at large.

Motions[edit]

The Chair took the Committee through a number of motions:

  1. Andrew Lih has been appointed to the Committee. (5 for, none against)
    • ACTION: The Secretary to add Andrew to the list of members on meta, and the mailing list.
  1. Marc-André Pelletier has been appointed to the Committee. (6 for, none against)
    • ACTION: The Secretary to add Marc-André to the list of members on meta, and the mailing list.
  2. User:Romaine has been appointed to the Committee. (7 for, none against)
    • ACTION: The Secretary to add Romaine to the list of members on meta, and the mailing list.
  3. Given the overwhelming tenor of feedback from community members, Wikimania is to continue to take place every calendar year. (8 for, none against)
  4. The Chair shall draft, agree with the Committee, & disseminate a Call for Proposals for the location and team for holding Wikimania 2018. The CfP should request lightweight suggestions from the community for a team and location at which to host, communicated via e-mail with the Committee or published on a meta page if desired. The CfP should identify the priority given for that year to Sub-Saharan Africa, noting that there is expressed interest in hosting in the Republic of South Africa. (8 for, none against)
    • ACTION: The Chair shall send a draft to the Committee for discussion.
  5. The Committee noted that interest had been communicated for holding a Wikimania in Sweden in 2019, and one in Bangkok, Thailand. (8 for, none against)

Any other business[edit]

The Chair asked for any other business.

There was a brief discussion about the Committee meeting more frequently, with clear and rapidly-published minutes to uphold the key principles of transparency and stewardship that the Committee wishes to meet.

Marc-André called for the establishment of a set of fixed requirements for hosting Wikimania, others present mentioned that a resolution to that effect was in discussion to update the most recent set of criteria available at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_judging_criteria to reflect any changes in advice.

The Committee briefly discussed the need to review membership, and the Chair committed to bringing forward suggestions for adjustment at a future date.

Adjournment[edit]

There being no further business, at 21:19 the Chair adjourned the meeting to the next occasion, to occur online on or about 1 August 2016.

  • ACTION: Manuel Schneider to schedule the next meeting.