Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Ellie Young (WMF liaison)
- Deror Avi (representing WM 2011)
- Iolanda Pensa (representing WM 2016) Chair
- Florence Devouard
- Andrew Lih (core organizing team of Wikiconference North America)
- Phoebe Ayers (representing WM 2017) Vice-Chair
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting: Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2018-04-13
Update on Wikimania 2018 Cape Town
- Notes on weekly meetings of organizers are on a shared google doc.
- Scheduled program will be up soon per Liam. Draft if available (not for distribution yet)
- Registration as of 6/11: 433 (two-thirds are WMF staff/board/scholarship people; rest are WMDE and Whose Knowledge workshop people). Big issue: getting promo/word out to ‘locals’; will be giving out about 80 ‘vip tickets’ to Douglas to give and offering half-off registration offer for SA ; another promo meeting is being scheduled this week.
- Logistics are all on track; planning to stream 10 talks; have recording equipment in every room so that people can record their talks but it will be their responsibility to get the talk up on Commons after. WMF IT people and volunteers will work to make this happen. Sponsorships are down this year, but Ellie is working with a couple of last-minute potentials.
- PR firm is working with Isla and WMF Comms. Draft initial press release on a shared google doc.
- Water crisis: Day Zero not happening this year; more rain this year; WMF is looking into hosting a water neutral event with hotel; Douglas is also looking into hosting a water editathon. The purpose of the event is to contribute in some way to the public understanding of water and sustainable cities through the platform of Wikipedia or related free knowledge project.
- Other events planned: Wiki Loves Africa Photo Exhibition; an Art show; community village (small but table tops in hallway); poster reception on Friday evening. Co-located pre-events
Update on Wikimania 2019 Sweden
- Ellie completed site visit with John Andersson last month.
- Ellie preparing recommendation to WMF this week.
- WMSE team will be in Cape town and are working on theme/presentation, etc.
- Email from them re theme for Wikimania 2019
Follow-up with Andrew Lih’s recommendation/email re future (see april 13 below)
Decisions and Next Steps
- Andrew Lih offered to be liaison to Wikimania Sweden
- Next Meeting in Cape Town?