The Wikimedia movement consists of the people and groups of people sharing common goals and activities with regard to creating and supporting free knowledge educative content:
- a collection of values shared by individuals (freedom of speech, knowledge for everyone, community sharing etc.);
- a collection of activities around Wikimedia Projects:
- Wikipedia, in more than 277 language versions,
- other content related wikis, such as Wikisource or Wikibooks,
- 'backstage' wikis or organisational wikis, such as this Meta-Wiki,
- conferences, workshops, wikiacademies etc. (offline activities);
- a collection of organizations, as well as some free electrons (individuals acting outside any group) and similar-minded organizations:
More generally speaking, Wikimedia stakeholders are also part of the Wikimedia movement (readers of Wikimedia content, donors, schools, GLAM, similar-minded institutions, and companies co-operating with the Wikimedia Foundation or other Wikimedia organizations).
The owner of the trademark Wikimedia is the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). Linked to the WMF are:
- Its own organs and committees:
- thread on foundation-l mailing list, started by Anthere, where the term and concept was launched. and the
- Scaling up: can Wikimedia Become A 300 Million People Movement By 2020? (about minute 4), Eloquence's speech at Wikimania 2009.