Wikimedia/Museum Day 2020
CALL TO IMPROVE THE PRESENCE OF
MUSEUMS ON WIKIPEDIA
ICOM has been organizing the International Museum Day for over 40 years. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many museums are not allowed to open their doors for this year's Museum Day, many events have been canceled. In Switzerland, the Museum Day is postponed to 2021, in Germany, however, the German Museum Association calls for virtual participation.
With this call we, Wikimedia Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Italy, want to give an impulse to support this initiative, despite the actual circumstances, where culture knows no borders and lives on virtually. Many museums release high resolution images and information under an open access online, or organize virtual collection tours.
We thank all the volunteers and authors engaging in our projects and we hope you will continue to make a contribution to free cultural knowledge by adding and completing the free encyclopedia Wikipedia and the Wikimedia sister projects on topics related to the theme of International Museum Day 2020 ‚Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion‘.
"The objective of International Museum Day (IMD) is to raise awareness of the fact that, “Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.”
In keeping with the Museums Day and this year's focus, we invite you to help us completing and improving the presence of museums on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata.
Thank you for participating!
IMD Theme 2020 - Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion
What does this mean?
- Museums have the potential to create meaningful experiences for people of all origins and backgrounds, that are central to their social values. Museums aim to demonstrate their relevance by engaging constructively in the political, social and cultural realities of modern society.
- Due to the high regard in which museums are held by society, the challenges of inclusion and diversity and the difficulty of navigating complex social issues in increasingly polarized environments, are important ones.
- An increasing public expectation for social change has catalyzed a conversation around museums' potential for social good in the form of exhibitions, conferences, performances, education programs, and new initiatives. However, there remains much to do to overcome conscious and subconscious power dynamics that can create disparities within museums, and between museums and their visitors.
- These disparities can relate to many topics, including ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and identity, socioeconomic background, education level, physical ability, political affiliation and religious beliefs.
- As institutions at the heart of society, museums have the power to establish dialogue between cultures, empower diversity and inclusion in cultural institutions and build bridges for cultural exchange as a catalyst for peace among people.
Consult the Geographic Museums Map for linked Wikimedia Content
If you are a Wikidata expert, participate in our Wikidata contest and help us improve and inject meta data into Wikidata to complete the geographical visualization on museums in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Italy.
- Black symbols: no Wikipedia article
- Red symbols: one Wikipedia article
- Orange symbols: at least two Wikipedia articles
- Green symbols: four Wikipedia articles
How to participate & contribute
We have set-up an outreach dashboard for all other activities aside form the Wikidata contest. If you want to enroll and assign the articles or categories you are working on for IMD2020 please click here. The registration on the dashboard is optional.
- Sum of all paintings and the list of shared collections
- Austria regional project RegiowikiAT
- Europeana Art Collections online Link
- UNESCO Digital Library - Open access material for research Link
- Museums Online Switzerland Link
- Images Archives ETH-Library Link
- Online Collection Swiss National Museum Link
- Images Archives Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Volkskunde Link
- Portail Joconde, liste officielle des musées de France Link
- Projet Wikidata Musées de France Link
- Collections Paris Musées Link
- Des collections en partage Musée de Bretagne Link
- Sculptures de la villa romaine de Chiragan du musée Saint-Raymond-Toulouse(éléments Wikidata déjà existants, ensemble des images à uploader au bas de cette page) Link
- Collections des musées de Normandie Link
Find the list of contact persons by country in the table below:
|For voluntary community|
|For cultural institutions|
|For communication and press|