From May 3 - 18, 2020
we run a Wikidata
contest related to museum meta data. Please follow this LINK
to find all contest related information, how to register and participate, as well as about the prizes. Every contribution counts to complete the geographical visualization on museums in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Italy linked to Wikimedia content.
As a beginner or intermediate Wikipedia author you can contribute for example by improving and completing an existing article, inserting appropriate images and image galleries, inserting links to art collections on museums webarchives and portals, updating info boxes or inserting Wikidata info boxes into Wikipedia articles. If you are an expert Wikipedia author you might engage in creating a completely new article. You can consult the geographic museums map
and explore museums with no article, and write about a cultural institution or translate an existing article in a different language. Please remember, if you want your new article about a museum to be reflected on the museum map, you have to interlink it in the Wikidata record of the respective cultural institution.
We have set-up an outreach dashboard for all other activities aside form the Wikidata contest. If you want to enroll and assign the articles or categories you are working on for IMD2020 please click here. The registration on the dashboard is optional.
If you like to work with media files, you might want to upload artwork, collections, artist portraits and museum related images to Wikimedia Commons
. Due to the actual situation, it will not be possible to visit a museum for taking photographs and even if, it is needed to be compliant with the legal framework. Maybe you still have many images, you did not have time to share and upload into Wikimedia Commons. Nevertheless, many cultural institutions have released images of their collections under a free license the past years. The collections are accessible through their portal or webarchive but are not yet available in Wikimedia Commons or embedded in a Wikipedia article.
Thanks to all the voluntary community and work across the globe and countries, there are several GLAM projects either on a global, national or regional scale you can contribute to. In some of the projects, the support of GLAM institution employees can make culture and art more accessible for everybody. Find here a selection of GLAM projects you might be interested in:
- Europeana Art Collections online Link
- UNESCO Digital Library - Open access material for research Link
- Museums Online Switzerland Link
- Images Archives ETH-Library Link
- Online Collection Swiss National Museum Link
- Images Archives Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Volkskunde Link
- Portail Joconde, liste officielle des musées de France Link
- Projet Wikidata Musées de France Link
- Collections Paris Musées Link
- Des collections en partage Musée de Bretagne Link
- Sculptures de la villa romaine de Chiragan du musée Saint-Raymond-Toulouse(éléments Wikidata déjà existants, ensemble des images à uploader au bas de cette page) Link
- Collections des musées de Normandie Link