Wikimedia 2030ː Movement Strategy Salon Tanzania
The Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania hosted a one day Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy Salon on 6th July 2019 at Buni Innovation Hub at Dar es Salaam.This was an inclusive gathering by which volunteers, contributors and users of different Wikimedia projects from Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania, Buni Innovation Hub, Jenga Wikipedia ya Kiswahili User Group, Creative Commons Chapter of Tanzania(CC Tanzania), Astronomy Association of Tanzania (ASSAT), Liberty Sparks, Zaina Foundation and other free knowledge enthusiasts from different institutions were under the same roof and had a deeper discussions about two strategy themes (1.Community Healthy 2.Resource Allocation) hence came up with constructive answers, suggestions, recommendations, ideas and advice to the scoping questions henceforth helping Wikimedia Movement Strategy to attain its 2030 goals.
|1||Emmanuel Malongo||Creative Commons Tanzania/The Open University of Tanzania||Delyamalongo|
|2||Jackline Gerrald||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Jayln|
|3||Fatma Maleta||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Fatma26|
|4||Adella Aniceti||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Adelyln|
|5||Antoni Mtavangu||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Jadnapac|
|6||Hamis Juma||Aga Khan University||Hamisj|
|7||Clement Makangabila Masele||Wikimedia Community User
|8||Juma David||NALA Money Tz||Mozilah jr|
|9||Rahabu Mwaituka||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Mariana|
|10||Evans Exad||Liberty Sparks|
|11||Magoiga Mtatiro||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania/ MagoTech Tanzania||MagoTech|
|12||Otto Augustino Nyongole||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Olimasy|
|13||Bill Joseph Kaduma||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||bill|
|14||Gilton Bosco||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Giltwizy|
|15||Zaituni Njovu||Zaina Foundation|
|16||Elizabeth Joseph||Wikimedia User Group Tanzania||Lisettejoe|
|17||Ally Hashimu Kiliwasha||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Killy95|
|18||Hadija Shabani||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||didykivoice|
|19||Blessing Nathaniel||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||BlessNathan|
|20||Bennett Benedict||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||BaharaJr|
|21||Veronica Likunama||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||vee.m.likunama|
|22||Justine Mahinyila||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Justinlimtz|
|223||Hebron Geofrey||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||Ronyyz|
|24||Dr. Juwaji Noor||ASSAT||jiwaji|
|25||Paul Mandele||Buni hub||Paelmand|
|27||Marietha Lwena||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania|
|28||Anna Ernest||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania|
|29||Ebenezer Mlay||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania|
|30||Habib Mrisho||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania|
|31||Noel Jackson||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania|
|32||Musaazi Dancun||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania|
|33||Bartazari Joshua||Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania||joshuabarry's|
|8:30am - 9:00am||Arrival and Registration||ALL|
|9:00am - 9:30am||Tea and Networking||ALL|
|9:30am - 10:00am||Introduction to Wikimedia Movement and Movement Strategy Process||Clement & Antoni|
|10:00am - 11:00am||Community Healthy: Group Discussions||Each Individual Group|
|11:00am - 11:15am||Group Summary presentations||Group Leaders|
|11:15am - 11:30am||Ice breaker||ALL|
|11:30am - 12ː30pm||Resource Allocation: Group Discussions||Each Individual Group|
|12:30pm - 12:45pm||Group Summary presentations||Group Leaders|
|12:45pm - 1:00pm||Meta page updating...||Group leaders|
|1:00pm - 1:30pm||Lunch||ALL|
|1:30pm - 2:00pm||Nomination of 2 Exoplanet names||ALL (as per Dr.Jiwaji guidance )|
|2:00pm - 30:00pm||Joint Scoping Questions analysis||ALL|
|3:00pm - 4:00pm||Videos, Photos and Conclusion||ALL|
NoteːThe below contents are not permanent as they are still under modification
Question: How can structures create, support and reinforce universally acceptable behavior across our communities?
a. Safe space
b. Quality content
c. Authentic content (truth)
e. Transparency and accountability (in decision making process)
f. Tolerance culture
a. Provision of knowledge, through;
iii. Training and workshops
b. Appreciating volunteers
i. Respect to content writers
a. Ensuring anonymity
b. Inclusion of marginalized communities
c. Having guidelines to community members
d. Respecting diversity and pluralism
e. Decentralized method of content verification
Question: Who are we accountable to and how do we organize accountability?
1. Who are we accountable to?
c. Wiki Media Foundation
2. How do we organize accountability?
a. Follow up goals
b. Delegation (clear roles and leadership structure)
c. Having clear guidelines
d. Integrity check (using peer review)
e. Authentication strategy
How can cultural shift in communities be initiated to make contributing a more positive experience for everyone participating in good faith?
i)Enlisting the cultural leaders
ii)Find the passion (area of interest) or point of connection
iii)Understanding the elements of culture
iv)Finding the venue/play point(viable marketplace)
QN.Who should be the recipients of resources? How do we determine the boundaries, who or what is included?
1.Who ,Individual Wikimedians,wikimedian groups and Affiliates
2.Determined boundaries should include the requirements for:-
(a)should be an active member
(b)should have a cover referee
c)Transparency and accountability
(ii)User groups (Wikimediians Groups)
(b)Transparency and accountability
QN. How can access to our projects be improved as access is the first essential step towards participation in a thriving movement?
1. Create awareness of wikimedia projects,platforms,tools, and events
2. Language localization of contents relevant to local communities
3. Improved internet infrastructure especially in rural areas to have offline access if contents and affordable internet access.
QN. The Strategic Direction prioritizes “communities who have been left out …” Who are they? Who should we reach out to and on what principle?
Who are they?
1. People with disabilities
2. People who don't have information concerning wikimedia projects as source of free and reliable knowledge
3. People who don't have access to digital devices.
Who should we reach
1. Everyone because information is important to every one, everyone of us should participate to reach out them
1. Knowledge equity as per strategic direction
2. Customized content for specific group. e.g children
Outcomes / Results
THEMATIC AREA 01: COMMUNITY HEALTHY
QN 01: How can structures create, support and reinforce universally
acceptable behaviour across our communities?
- Safe spaceː
Safe space is referred to as an online space (forum) which is free of conflict, harassment, bias, stalking threatening to ideas or contribution made by an individual user. This will enable contributors not to be afraid to contribute, create or edit information. Safe space respect diversity (ethnic, religious, gender orientation differences)
- Quality contentː
Users should create, modify or contribute content with high quality and relevant to the society.
- Authentic content (truth)ː
The content has to be original work, researched and cited from reliable sources
More efforts should be done to ensure community members are oriented on the existence and usefulness of the Wikimedia projects. This can be achieved by doing more inclusive editathons and workshops and training. In line with this, more education should be given to users on the sense of ownership of the content they contribute in Wikimedia projects.
- Transparency and accountability:
Decision making should be more inclusive to Wikimedia projects volunteers/contributors especially when it comes to who makes decisions regarding various matters by which Wikimedia communities may be affected in one way or the other.
- Tolerance culture:
Both Wikimedia projects staff (including Wikimedia projects Administrators) and the volunteers community must be tolerant and assume good faith in the situations of hot moments (misunderstandings) in various discussions that aim to improve Wikimedia projects. This will help to reach a peaceful resolution.
- There should be more support on provision of knowledge to Wikimedia projects users/ contributors through talks, salons, training, conferences and workshops.
- There should be some kind of appreciation, and recognition to active Wikimedia projects volunteers/contributors.
- Inclusion of marginalized communities such as people with disabilities.
- Bringing more awareness on the availability of guidelines resources that helps to contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- Respecting cultural diversity and pluralism.
- There should be an increase in the level of decentralization of Wikimedia projects content verification (increase the number of administrators for Wikimedia projects)
QN 02:How can cultural shift in communities be initiated to make contributing a more positive experience for everyone participating in good faith?
- Wikimedia volunteer/contributors should engage cultural leaders/influential figures in the community.
- Finding and identifying the respective cultural areas/activities of interest in various communities to engage with Wikimedia projects.
- Understanding and respecting the elements of culture for each community.
QN 03: How can access to our projects be improved as access is the first essential step towards participation in a thriving movement?
- By creating awareness of Wikimedia projects, platforms, tools and events.
- There should be Language localization of contents relevant to local communities.
- There should be more improved internet infrastructure especially in rural areas to have offline access of contents and affordable internet access.
QN4: What are the social and technical challenges within the current administrative and decision making system that hinder the creation and maintenance of community health?
These challenges include:
- Cultural Diversity: Existence of diversity where aspects, perception, practices and values that differs from one culture to another. Therefore, Wikimedia projects should be more culturally aware. Other diversity includes social life, sports interests, politics etc.
- Delay of resource for supporting the collection of data:
This includes the monetary support to aid in buying the tools required for special functions /events that are necessary for the collection of data.
- Need of more options for referencing information:
Wikimedia movement should find more options for referencing content to be contributed in Wikimedia projects.
THEMATIC AREA 02: RESOURCE ALLOCATION
Qn 1: .Who should be the recipients of resources? How do we determine the boundaries, who or what is included?
The recipients of resources should be individual volunteer or group of volunteers on the following conditions;
- Should be an active member and regular volunteer who contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- Have cover referees, this should be trusted referees.
- There should be a high level of transparency and accountability.
QN 2: The Strategic Direction prioritizes “communities who have been left out …” Who are they? Who should we reach out to and on what principle? Who are they?
- People with disabilities
- People who don't have information concerning wikimedia projects as sources of free and reliable knowledge
- People who don't have access to digital devices.
Who should we reachː Everyone because information is important to every one, everyone of us should participate to reach out them What principles
- Knowledge equity as per strategic direction
- Customized content for specific group. e.g children
QN 3: Who should be the recipients of resources? How do we determine the boundaries, who or what is included?
1.Who: Individual Wikimedians, Wikimedian groups and Affiliates
2.Determined boundaries should include the requirements for:-
Should be an active user/contributor of Wikimedia projects, Should have a cover referee and should be someone able to maintain Transparency and accountability.
(ii)User groups (Wikimedians Groups)ː
Active groups having similar vision and mission that promotes an open knowledge advocacy.
QN 04: Who are we accountable to and how do we organize accountability?
'1. Who are we accountable to?'
User – all individuals who create, edit or publishing the content.
Recipients – individuals who use or read from the published content.
Ensuring knowledge provided is authentic and has quality to a recipient and has been carefully researched.
'c. Wikimedia Foundation'ːShould continue to manage and improve their projects platforms, assisting in ways to maintain these platforms and making awareness to people about the importance of free knowledge via its projects and even cooperating with non Wikimedia projects for the same purpose.
'2. How do we organize accountability?'
a. Follow up goalsː
Wikimedia 2030 goals have to be well clear understood to all users and recipients to raise awareness within communities.
b. Delegation ː
There should be clear roles and leadership structure to improve performance at each strategical responsibilities.
c. Having clear guidelinesː< br> Users have to be educated on content that is acceptable and what are not, also rules applied in acceptance or rejection of content must be well be made clear to users.
d. Integrity checkː
ːUsing peer review in checking the integrity of the information, knowledge or content provided
e. Authentication strategyːThe content created or moderated has to be authentic and proven its integrity by peers.
f.New entry Categoriesː There should be new categories that contains the list of all new entries made per each specific time (say per each month) so as make it easy for peers to have a look and improve them where seems necessary to do so.