Wikimedia Blog/Drafts/Android app is a Google Play Best App of 2015/lb
- Wikipedai Android App, elo mat interaktiver Kaart, nominéiert als Best App vun 2015
Hutt Dir d'Wikipedia Android App schonn erofgelueden? Dat sollt Dir. Google huet si elo grad als "Best App vun 2015" stipuléiert an si an de Gogle Play Store vu Russland, Indien, Mexiko, Japan an Indonesie recommandéiert.
The entire Android team at the Wikimedia Foundation is thrilled about this recognition. We hope it helps people around the world engage more with free knowledge. And like everything we do, it’s free to download and use.
We work hard to build an app that is easy and fun to use, while bringing the knowledge of Wikipedia to your fingertips. Looking back at 2015, there’s no shortage of new features in the app:
- Previews of linked Wikipedia articles so you can explore a topic without leaving the original page.
- Share-a-fact cards that allow you to easily and quickly create image cards with facts from Wikipedia and share via social media, email, or text message.
- More image-centric design, improved search functionality, and suggestions for further reading.
We’d also like to introduce another new feature that we released in our latest version of the app: using the Nearby tab, you can access a full, interactive map (based on the new Wikimedia Maps service), with little pins for Wikipedia articles about nearby points of interest. This interactive feature lets you drag and zoom the map to any other part of the world, and see Wikipedia articles for those locations.
Tapping on any of the little pins will show you the familiar link preview that you see when tapping on regular links in articles. We designed it for anyone curious about what’s around them, from travelers abroad to people learning more about their hometowns.
We have much more planned in 2016—get the app from the Google Play Store, and stay tuned for more great features in the new year!
Software Engineer, Product Owner
- Image courtesy of Google Play.
- The Wikipedia Android app is now using the Wikimedia Maps service. Screenshot by Dmitry Brant, freely licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.