Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the foundation and its work, as its ultimate corporate authority.
The Board was formed in 2003 with three Trustees, and since 2008 consists of up to ten Trustees. It appoints four officers: a Chair and Vice Chair (who have to be Trustees), and a Treasurer and Secretary (who do not). The work of the board partly involves resolutions and votes. Other work is delegated to a number of committees covering matters such as Board Governance, Audit, and Human Resources.
The Board is composed of the following seats:
- one founder's seat (reserved for Jimmy Wales);
- two affiliate seats selected by the Wikimedia chapters and Wikimedia thematic organizations at affiliate-selected Board seats
- three seats nominated by the Wikimedia community at Wikimedia Foundation elections/Board elections
- four seats appointed by the rest of the Board for specific expertise selected in a process guided by the Wikimedia Foundation Board Governance Committee
Contacting the Board
There is a Board noticeboard for sharing requests and recommendations. The Board can be contacted directly by either posting to the noticeboard, or by email to WMFboardwikimedia.org. The Foundation itself can be contacted in a number of ways as outlined on their contact page.
|Alice Wiegand (User:Lyzzy)||Appointed||Wikimania 2018||Reappointed on December 23, 2016|
|Dr. Dariusz Jemielniak (User:Pundit)||Community||Wikimania 2017||Appointed on July 16, 2015|
|Christophe Henner (User:Schiste)||Affiliates||Chair||Wikimania 2019||Appointed on June 23, 2016|
|Jimmy Wales (User:Jimbo Wales)||Founder||Chairman Emeritus||December 31, 2018||Reappointed on November 7, 2015|
|Kelly Battles||Appointed||December 31, 2017||Appointed on December 9, 2015|
|María Sefidari (User:Raystorm)||Community[Notes 1]||Vice Chair||Wikimania 2017||Appointed to fill vacancy left by Board resolution|
|Nataliia Tymkiv (User:NTymkiv (WMF))||Affiliates||Wikimania 2019||Appointed on June 23, 2016|
|Vacant||Appointed||Vacant as of 2016-01-27, due to a resignation announcement|
|Vacant||Community||Vacant as of 2016-04-08, due to a resignation announcement|
|Vacant||Appointed||Vacant as of 2017-01-01, due to completion of term|
- This seat is typically filled after a nomination by volunteer community members. In 2016, the board filled a vacancy here by referencing a nominating process, but without there being a formal nomination.
- From the Board Chart template:
- WMF Audit Committee (Charter)
- WMF Board Governance Committee (Charter)
- WMF Human Resources Committee (Charter)
- Funds Dissemination Committee
- Current liaisons: Dariusz Jemielniak and Guy Kawasaki
- Affiliations Committee (Charter)
- Current liaisons: María Sefidari and Nataliia Tymkiv
- Language committee (Charter)
- List of Board meetings (with minutes)
- List of Board resolutions
- Board deliberations process
- What makes a good Trustee?
- Traits of a great WMF Trustee
- Presentations by Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees members