Title of your proposal
Name(s) and/or username(s)
- Kalliope, Tsouroupidou, User:Kalliope (WMF)
- Wikimedia Foundation, Community advocate
- Real world events organization (editathons, meetings, camps, conferences, wiki expeditions)
- Conflict resolution + Community health
Type of submission (Please choose one)
- Presentation (one-to-many)
Throughout the Wikimedia movement’s history, much of what we do has traditionally transpired in the virtual space. However, many of our interactions have also transitioned to the offline world, in parallel to online spaces, adding another dimension to collaboration and connectivity. As the number of small and large scale in-person events taking place in the Wikimedia universe every year increases, so do the opportunities of potential conflict that can greatly impact the participants’ overall experience as well as the level of their involvement in the projects moving forward. Creating safe spaces where Wikimedians feel empowered to come together, exchange ideas, co-work and be creative has become pivotal to the Movement’s success. This workshop/presentation will specifically include:
- examples of situations that may be encountered during in-person events;
- proactive steps to take during the event’s preparational stages, both for event organisers and participants;
- advice on how to handle friendly space violations and incidents of harassment;
- suggested steps to take retrospectively.
While this presentation is geared towards current or prospective event organisers, it provides a lot of information and advice that can be useful to event participants as well. For this reason, both organisers and participants are encouraged to attend.
Current and prospective event organisers will learn:
- how they can help prevent incidents from occurring in the first place;
- what concrete steps to take should an incident occur;
- how they can support the individuals affected by an incident;
- how they can support themselves should an incident occur;
- best practices in handling FSP violations during events.
Event participants will learn:
- how they can contribute to creating and maintaining a safe space during events;
- what to do in case they witness or experience a safe space violation during an event;
- what to expect from event organisers in the situation of a friendly space violation.
Duration (without Q&A)
Projector allowing connection to MacBook air