Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2019/Programme/Submissions/Practical Tools for Wikimedia Commons
- Title of the submission
Practical Tools for Wikimedia Commons
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, workshop, lightning talk, roundtable, poster)
- Author(s) of the submission
- Wikimedia Commons
- Abstract (up to 100 words)
During this workshop we'll go on an expedition for helpful tools to efficiently contribute photos to Wikimedia Commons. The first stage will be itinerary planning (using tools such as WikiShootMe!, image requests, a mobile map app such as OsmAnd). We will start the photo tour (using tools to record the location, determine position of the sun, ticking completed items). Back home we'll post process the photos, categorize, describe and upload them (using darktable, dtMediaWiki, HotCat, Upload Wizard w/ campaigns and pre-filled fields). Finally I'll discuss some tools to efficiently work with existing images (Cat-a-lot, VisualFileChange, locator-tool, CropTool).
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in the region of Central and Eastern Europe?
Having an efficient workflow, allows photographers to focus on their hobby: taking pictures. Lowers the bar for contributing to campaigns such as Wiki Loves Monuments.
- Special requirements
- Slides or further information
- File:Practical Tools for Wikimedia Commons CEEM 2019.pdf
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- WikiShootMe - https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/, shows the map with objects
- Image Requests - Gathered on different Wikis
- For German Wikipedia the image requests are gathered in the tool bldrwnsch (https://tools.wmflabs.org/bldrwnsch/)
- How to geocode your pictures: Recommendation is OsmAnd with GPX-Record plugin, the places we want to visit can be highlighted
- OsmAnd as a tool to plan your route, mark waypoints and track it. Available both for Android and Apple devices
- Which time? Take picture of your atomic clock at the beginning, so it is easy to correct for timezone errors in the camera.
- Peakfinder.org - shows the panorama with peaks, date and time when the sun sets (example)
Editing and uploading
- Upload Wizard - way to upload photos and bunch of photos to Commons
- Campaigns - you need to be in specific group to be able to edit or add new sections in Campaing (example of Wiki loves monuments Austria)
- Pattypan - tool, saves a lots of time if you are using when you have a connection with some museums, when you have database
- Darktable - tool, workflow application. Export to Commons or your files, choose, edit photos etc. Good for huge number of photos in the same time. Map mode (satellite, street mode), location of the images - pictures located on the map at the same time. Upload process - lua, dtMediaWiki (installation is explained on Wikimedia Commons),
Tools helping to organize
- HotCat - add or move categories
- Cat-a-lot - list of images from multiple categories
- VisualFileChange - advance tool
- locator-tool - Undefined location
- CropTool - cropping images on Commons