Wikimedia CH/Micro-Grant/Travel expenses for Wikipedia Weekend in Tirana 2015
Please provide the following information for your micro-grant request:
Your Username: Albinfo
Your Country of residence: Switzerland
Amount requested: 350 CHF
Participation at the Wikipedia Weekend in Tirana 2015 (December 4 & 5).
The grant will cover a good part of the travel expenses while I can bear the rest.
Please explain what influence your activity will have on Wikimedia Projects
- Exchange between editors of different Wikimedia projects active in editing Albanian topics and contributing pictures from Albania to Commons.
(We have a small number of long-term editors in the German Wikipedia who generate quite a lot of content about Albanian topics in rather high quality. Editing in this area is not always easy as some sources are hard to get. It would be great to have some established contacts.)
- Discuss fields of collaboration, e.g.
- maintaining high quality in commons:Category:Albania (problems with missing freedom of panorama in Albania and other country-specific licences, problems with unclear sources etc.);
- support by the Albanian community for foreign editors (pictures, searching sources, translations, grammar questions etc.);
- support for the Albanian community.
- Short speach at the Workshop (to be confirmed by organization team), e.g. about editing in de:Wikipedia (like Albanian WP, German WP covers several countries; high level of quality in German WP: sources, copyright, control of quality and relevance of new articles; long-term projects like de:Portal:Albanien/Gemeindereform, protected areas) and/or organization and projects of Wikimedia CH (micro grants, Wikipedian in Residence, GLAM – maybe Wikimedia CH could support me with a existing presentation).
- Maybe supporting the organization team of the event with some know-how of an experienced Wikipedian and editor in Commons during the editathon and introduction for new editors sessions.
Please provide the links to the categories on Wikimedia Commons, to the articles on Wikipedia or any other contributions on Wikimedia projects:
- met many important editors of Albanian Wikipedia (9 new facebook friends);
- presentation held: commons:File:Albania and German Wikipedia – Wikipedia Weekend Tirana 2015.pdf
tried to inspire new editors with examples of what a small contribution like commons:File:Ismail Kadare.jpg can have;
- added 133 new images to commons: 
wa able to illustrate some articles without images;
- discussed some quality issues on commons (WikiAccademyKukës, missing Freedom of Panorama in Albania), categorization etc.;
- tried to motivate Albanian users to contribute to Commons and rose awareness for our wish list: de:Portal:Albanien/Bilderwünsche;
- supported new editors during editathons;
- took part at discussion about future projects of the Albanian Wikipedia;
- met with external (non-wikipedian) presentors during the workshop
- occasion to buy several new books about Albania; and I got some books during the workshop for free;
- updated de:Nationales Folklorefestival von Gjirokastra during editathon and afterwards with some material from the workshop.
I think my participation was helpful for both sides: the Albanians had a great example of a very active editor and we got to know each other. The organization team already invited me to their next event in May.
Important: AFTER having submitted your request, please write an eMail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details (at least: Name, Surname, Email address)
- --Muriel Staub (WMCH) (talk) 15:48, 12 November 2015 (UTC)
- --Nennes (talk) 16:08, 12 November 2015 (UTC)
- --Ilario (talk) 16:26, 14 November 2015 (UTC)
- --Cassinam (talk) 16:28, 14 November 2015 (UTC)
- --Shalf (talk) 09:51, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
Result: The Micro-grant committee unanimously approved this request.