Wikimedia Community Kilimanjaro
|Wikimedia Community Kilimanjaro|
|Official language(s)||Swahili, English|
|Key people||Justine Msechu|
Wikimedia Community Kilimanjaro seeks to mobilize and organize a new generation of volunteers in Kilimanjaro, who are passionate about Free Knowledge, for meaningful engagement in the Wikimedia Community.
Our focus will be on English (enwiki) and Swahili Wikipedia (swwiki). The community is also quite deliberate on shrinking the Gender Gap on Wikipedia and on the internet at large and will therefore be keen on projects that advance Gender Equality.
We have been involved in edit-a-thons, photowalks, training new editors, Movement Strategy Discussions, Wikimania, and Wikiindaba and we plan to continue to leverage these activities to contribute to the growth of Wikimedia projects in Kilimanjaro.
We plan to leverage on collaborating with communities within Tanzania and East Africa Region and the movement at large to achieve our goals in line with the Movement Strategy 2030.
- To grow the Wikimedia Community in Kilimanjaro and provide structure as well as community representation in Decision making within the Movement.
- To promote Wikimedia projects and free Knowledge in general and to encourage using Wikimedia resources in community empowerment.
- To synergies and collaborate with other affiliates, regionally and globally in implementing the 2030 strategy.
- To Invest in Capacity Building of members.
- Organizing conventions, conferences, meetings, workshops, and contests in line with Movement's vision.
- Train and recruit newcomers.
- Shrink the Digital Gender gap.
Interested in participating
- Organizing Thematic Wikimedia Projects that include Edit-a-thons, Workshops and Photo-walks in Kilimanjaro
- Training more youth in Kilimanjaro on how to contribute to Wikipedia and champion Free Knowledge
- Advancing the growth of Swahili Wikipedia
- Media Relations for press coverage in our events
- Creating Partnerships with like-minded communities and organisations
- Collaboration with regional and global communities to achieve the 2030 strategy
In 2020 we joined a Wikipedia training taking place in Arusha Tanzania, led by Ebenezer Mlay. After receiving the training and seeing it as useful to the community we decided to start this group to provide more opportunities for young people living in Kilimanjaro and grow the number of those who want to get involved in Wikipedia.
- Hussein m mmbaga
- Anuary Rajabu
- Justine Msechu
- Frank kisamo
- Siwema Nikini
- Aysher norman
- Suzann mollel
- Kelvin Philipo
- Brenda Philbert
- Abubakari Sixberth
- Esther Elisha
- Purity Issaya
- Erick J. Budeba
- Agathon Kimario
- Jumanne mgendi
- Kelvin mlay
- Zander deziner
- shufaa sadick
- Brenda Philbert
Interested in Joining the group Please sign up below
- Justine Msechu (talk) 15:16, 17 December 2022 (UTC)