Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong/Safe Space Policy
Other language versions of the policy are provided. However, the English version of the policy shall prevail whenever there is a discrepancy between the English version and other language versions.
Principles of Policy
This is a Safe Space Policy for any events, meetups, edit-a-thons and outreach activities organized by, or under control of, Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong (WMHKG). The Policy is designed to complement, not to replace, the general friendly space policy for Wikimedia events, and other policies and conventions established by the Wikimedia movement and WMHKG.
Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong (WMHKG) is dedicated to providing a welcoming and harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, political affiliation, or religion (and not limited to those aspects). We do not tolerate any form of harassment of any event participants. We expect participants to follow these rules at all events, workshops, and social events.
Prohibited Behaviour of Participants
All participants of events organized by the WMHKG are obligated to refrain from any behaviour which can be considered harassing, discriminating or abusing. Harassment, discrimination or abusive behaviour could include, but not limited to:
- Discriminatory speech including offensive comments related to age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, political affiliation, or religion.
- Threatening behaviour including deliberate intimidation, stalking, unwelcome following, photography taken without explicit consent from subject, unwelcome or violent physical contact, sustained disruption of talks or other events; or any other verbal or physical conduct intended to threaten, coerce or intimidate.
- Conduct of a sexual nature such as unwelcome sexual attention or advances, suggestive comments or gestures, inappropriate requests for sexual favours or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
- Graphic content such as the display of inappropriate sexual content and imagery, or content that is otherwise offensive or distressing without adequate prior notice.
- Disruption of talks, programmes, or events.
- Persistent intrusion into the private lives of those who choose to participate in WMHKG activities.
- Any other behaviour in breach of the general friendly space policy for Wikimedia events, any other policies of WMHKG, or the laws of Hong Kong.
Participants asked to stop such behaviour are requested to comply immediately.
Any individual, who are
- currently subject to a WMF event ban;
- currently subject to a WMF or community-enforced global ban;
- owners of accounts in Wikimedia projects that are globally locked, or indefinitely blocked or banned in one or more Wikimedia projects due to the individual's abuse of editing privileges; or
- banned from WMHKG events due to the individual's prior violation of the Policy,
are strictly prohibited to participate events organized by the WMHKG, unless the aforementioned ban expires.
To facilitate the enforcement of the Policy, a list of persons excluded from WMHKG events shall be maintained by WMHKG and its event organizers.
Event organizers are responsible for ensuring the Policy is followed. If necessary, event organizers should involve the staff of the premises where the event is being held, or the police.
If anyone involved with running a WMHKG event are concerned about the conduct of an individual, or receive a complaint, they should take action appropriate to the situation. In some cases this might be a private warning to the person concerned; asking them to change their behaviour. In more serious cases it may be necessary to ask someone to leave immediately. In cases of stalking, event organizers may be able to provide escorts.
Anyone continuously engaging in the behaviour can be banned from other events organized by the WMHKG in the future, with the consensus among WMHKG.
As WMHKG events are often led by volunteers, we depend on all participants for help in maintaining the Safe Space Policy. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the event organizers immediately.
Effective 22 May 2019