Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan
|Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan|
|Official language(s)||Arabic, English|
|Other language(s)||Juba Arabic|
|Sudan/ @Wikimedia-Community-User-Group-South sudan|
Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan
The Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan is a vibrant and growing community dedicated to advancing the mission of the Wikimedia movement within South Sudan. Despite facing unique challenges due to the dynamics and geography of the country, the community has successfully established itself and continues to thrive with the support of the grants team and its commitment to capacity building and collaboration.
The Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan aims to promote the creation, development, and dissemination of free knowledge in South Sudan by engaging individuals, institutions, and communities in Wikimedia projects. The community is dedicated to fostering education, cultural preservation, women's involvement, and awareness of climate change through open education resources (OER) and other initiatives.
Key Focus Areas
- Open Education Resources (OER): The community recognizes the pressing need for accessible educational materials in South Sudan. They actively promote the use and creation of OER, seeking to enhance education and bridge knowledge gaps in the country.
- Climate Change Awareness: In response to the urgent global issue of climate change, the community is committed to raising awareness and providing accurate information on the topic. They aim to empower individuals with knowledge and promote sustainable practices within their communities.
- Cultural Preservation: South Sudan is known for its rich cultural heritage, and the community recognizes the importance of preserving and celebrating these traditions. They strive to document and share cultural knowledge, safeguarding it for future generations.
- Women's Involvement: The community acknowledges the challenges in involving women in their programs due to cultural factors. They are actively working to promote gender equality and inclusivity by providing opportunities, resources, and a supportive environment for women to participate and contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- Established a thriving community of 60 dedicated Wikimedians in South Sudan.
- Implemented capacity building programs to enhance the skills and knowledge of community members.
- Engaged in peer-to-peer mentoring through the Let's Connect program and collaborations with other Wikimedia initiatives.
- Participated in Kiwix training with the Open Foundation Africa West Africa and GLAM programs in Uganda.
- Successfully organized the first Kiwix campaign in South Sudan, promoting offline access to Wikimedia content.
- Initiated climate change awareness programs to educate and engage the community on environmental issues.
- Retention: Like many communities, the Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan faces challenges in retaining members after training programs. Efforts are underway to address this issue and improve the long-term engagement of participants.
- Governmental Restrictions: Restrictions imposed by the government limit the community's participation in certain activities, such as photography campaigns. However, ongoing discussions and collaborations with relevant stakeholders are taking place to find suitable solutions.
- Expand the reach and impact of OER initiatives in South Sudan, providing quality educational resources to students and educators across the country.
- Increase awareness and understanding of climate change, promoting sustainable practices and environmental stewardship.
- Empower women to actively contribute to Wikimedia projects, fostering gender equality and inclusivity within the community.
- Strengthen cultural preservation efforts, documenting and sharing South Sudan's diverse cultural heritage.
- Collaborate with regional and international Wikimedia communities to exchange knowledge, experiences, and best practices.
The Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan remains committed to its mission and continues to grow, adapt, and overcome challenges to make a lasting positive impact on free knowledge, education, cultural preservation, and awareness of climate change in South Sudan.
Our vision is to create a thriving and diverse Wikimedia community in South Sudan that serves as a hub for the sharing of knowledge, culture, and information. We envision a country where all citizens have equal access to the vast wealth of knowledge and information available on Wikimedia projects, and where the contributions of South Sudanese users are recognized and valued on a global scale. We strive to create a community that is inclusive, collaborative, and dedicated to the promotion of free knowledge and the democratization of information.
- Promote Open Education Resources (OER): The community aims to advocate for and promote the use of open education resources in South Sudan. They strive to enhance access to quality educational materials and support the development of a robust OER ecosystem within the country.
- Raise Awareness of Climate Change: The community is dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding of climate change among individuals and communities in South Sudan. They aim to educate and empower people to take action towards mitigating the effects of climate change and promoting sustainable practices.
- Preserve Cultural Heritage: Recognizing the importance of cultural preservation, the community seeks to document, preserve, and promote the rich cultural heritage of South Sudan. They aim to safeguard traditional knowledge, practices, and artifacts for future generations and foster appreciation for cultural diversity.
- Foster Women's Involvement: The community is committed to promoting gender equality and increasing women's participation and leadership within the Wikimedia movement. They strive to create a supportive and inclusive environment that encourages women to actively contribute to Wikimedia projects and initiatives.
- Collaboration and Networking: The community aims to foster collaboration and networking with regional and international Wikimedia communities. They seek to exchange knowledge, experiences, and best practices, creating opportunities for learning, growth, and collaboration on joint initiatives.
- Capacity Building: The community is dedicated to enhancing the skills and knowledge of its members through various capacity building programs. They aim to equip community members with the necessary tools and resources to effectively contribute to Wikimedia projects and initiatives.
- Community Engagement and Growth: The community endeavours to engage, inspire, and grow its membership base. They aim to foster a sense of belonging, collaboration, and enthusiasm among members, encouraging active participation and contributing to the growth and sustainability of the community.
Projects and Activities
The Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan has organized and participated in activities that align with the Wikimedia vision and mission. These include:
- WikiForHumanRights 2022 in South Sudan
- WikiLovesAfrica 2022 in South Sudan
- WikiLovesFolklore 2023 in South Sudan
- EduWiki 2022 in South Sudan
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2022 in South Sudan
- Wikivibrance 2022 in South Sudan
- Africa Youth Month 2022 in South Sudan
Gallery- Selected Photos from Events
Join the user group's telegram group
Interested in participating
Join the Wikimedia Community User Group South Sudan and make a difference! Contribute to open education resources, raise awareness about climate change, preserve cultural heritage, and empower women's involvement. Collaborate, network, and be part of a passionate community dedicated to positive change. Visit our social media platforms @wikisouthsudan and join to get updates of trainings, editathons and programs to get started. Alternatively, you may join any of our either WhatsApp or Telegram groups to get more immediate feedback!
Together, we can create impact in South Sudan!
- Email us at wikimediasouthsudangmail.com
- or contact
- Romeo Ronald Lomora lomoronaldgmail.com
- Wani Yusif Farjalla waniyusiflado94gmail.com
- Likambu Kangu likamboisaac55gmail.com