Wikimedia Community User Group Sudan
Community User Group
|Approval date||24 June 2020|
|Official language(s)||Sudanese Arabic, English,|
|Other language(s)||Standard Arabic|
Who we are?
Wikimedia Sudan User Group is a group of Sudanese living in Sudan and in the diaspora working to help bridge the content gaps about Sudan (and broadly Africa) on the web through the largest online Encyclopedia, Wikipedia and its sister projects as well as other open projects that allow sharing and accessibility of free knowledge. The group is leading global campaigns to help increase contents about Sudan and to change the current narrative of Sudanese being just consumers of knowledge to a new generation of knowledge/content producers.
The community will represent and extend projects of the Wikimedia Foundation through awareness drives, global campaigns, training others to contribute to the wikis and creating opportunities and networking with partners to curate Sudanese content. We emphasize on global initiatives because the basic concept behind Wikipedia is global access and the issues of Sudan are relevant not just for people in Sudan holding Sudanese nationality but for everyone who cares about global issues particularly in this era where the world is globally connected.
- Lead the creation and curation of content about Sudan
- Creation of partnership with GLAM institutions to ensure maximum coverage of information from Sudan
- Train and recruit volunteers for the agenda of contributing to Wikimedia Projects
- Acting in the best interest of the Wikimedia movement in local initiatives and projects
- Educating the masses on the need for storytelling and content creation by our people
- Building the capacity of the youth on information and digital literacy skills
Community Plan for 2021
Even though the community is just being established we think that the opportunity is there to help the community reach out to many partners who have common ground of improving rejection of Sudan Image and make more information about the country available. For 2021 the Wikimedia Sudan community will represent and extend projects of the Wikimedia Foundation through awareness drives, global campaigns, training others to contribute to the wikis and creating opportunities and networking with partners to curate Sudanese content.
We emphasize global initiatives because the basic concept behind Wikipedia is global access and the issues of Sudan are relevant not just for people in Sudan holding Sudanese nationality but for everyone who cares about global issues particularly in this era where the world is globally connected. For the coming 8 months we will be focusing on three main pillars but this does not mean that those will be the sole focus of the community as these projects are interlinked. Another cross cutting issue will be the issue of:
- Access to the internet
- Open source concepts,
- Digitization and freedom of panorama in Sudan.
We will be working also on
- Networking and Wikimedia Sudan Community building
- Capacity Building for (users and focal points)
- Content Improving mainly (Wikipedia both Arabic and English, Wiki commons, Wiki data)
Please review 2021 Plan for Details
Who can Join?
All who feel welcomed to the agenda of Sudan and the reduction of the content gap that exist about the country. Sudanese living in Sudan, in the diaspora and anyone who feels connected to the agenda. All are welcome to Wikimedia Sudan, a place where Sudanese content is created and curated by Sudanese people!
Wikimedia Sudan Community Structure
For the purpose of organizing the community and ensuring a structured way of getting things done. We will be employing a flat organisational structure with role allotments to ensure responsibility for each aspect of the work that has to be done towards organizing. We will also employ a flat hierarchy to ensure that decisions are made in a participatory manner.
- Community Manager/Program Officer - Maram Ali
- Resource and Finance Officer - Esam Idres
- Events Officer - Fatima Mohammed
- Communication Officer - Ola Mahadi
- Partnership and Networking Officer - Esam Idres
1. Networking and Community Building 1.1 Wikimedia Sudan Town Hall Meeting A semi-annual meeting to discuss different community interventions, talk about community issues, listen to views of the community, celebrate achievements and awarding of g
1.2 WikiGames (2 events for 2021)
- Sudanese Gaming Companies
- Application development community
- Adult/Kids entertainment centers
1.3 Wikipedia for Democracy ( new Sudan after December revaluation walk towards Democracy)
1.4 Sudan Media Forum (Media + Photographers) Based on different conversations with Sudanese media personalities about the current context of the new state being structured, it is important to meet key stakeholders of the new and old media space (TV, Radio, Photography, Videography, Vloggers, etc.) to lead discussions around obsolete policies that need changing to ensure representation and visibility of the country. One of such issues is the restrictions on copyright (FOP prohibition) in our current law, now is a good time to address these issues. Especially just after a revolution where the government is actively listening to the citizens, collaborating with such major stakeholders could stir conversations in the right direction.
2. Capacity Building & Content Creation
2.2 TOT Sudan
To be able to establish the community on a national level we are planning to identify and establish focal points (nodes or hubs) in 5 major regions to ensure activities are just not Khartoum (the capital ) and Nayla based but closer to anyone with an interest.
This will be a 5 days TOT (training of trainers session) in Khartoum organised to educate and inform our leaders in the selected regions.
2.3 1Lib1Ref May 2021 2.4 Wiki Loves Sudan (WLS) 2.5 Wiki Love Earth 2021 Sudan Wikimedia is planning to locally participate in the 8th round of the Wiki Loves Earth 2021 campaign. Its a photo contest where participants take pictures of local natural heritage in their countries and upload them to Wikimedia Commons, and to be used on other sister projects.
Proposed Date: 1st May to 31st June 2021 Italic text
2.6 Sudan Education Mapathon