|Please do not post any new comments on this page. This is a discussion archive first created in December 2007, although the comments contained were likely posted before and after this date. See current discussion or the archives index.|
- 1 Uncategorized images and unused files
- 2 Buddha comment
- 3 Chavacano de Zamboanga Wikipedia
- 4 Dead link to project page
- 6 Root names
- 7 Vandalism, socking on nv
- 8 In Chinese Wiki, the administrator broke the wiki policy and abused of power to lock all channels to stop dissenters' speech..
- 9 Where to ask for technical help?
- 10 I want a copy of your donation system.
- 11 download.wikimedia.org
Uncategorized images and unused files
I would like to request comments with regard to how to deal with at least hundreds of uncategorized images and unused files. As Meta:Copyrights says that all contributions to Meta are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License, should we just presume the under GFDL if not otherwise indicated? Many of them are unused logos made before the Wikimedia Foundation.--Jusjih 03:27, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
- I'm afraid I don't think we're safe to consider them to be GFDL as a large number of the images uploaded have been clearly not by someone in a position to release the rights. For example, many of the photos used in Wikimania bids where it appears the photos have just been found from somewhere on the internet. I feel that many of the logos in unused images can probably be deleted as if they aren't linked from anywhere then they serve no historical purpose in discussions. I've been slowly working through some of these problem images, tagging them as missing source/licence info and informing the uploader where appropriate. I'll put together a deletion discussion for some of these where I consider they are similar so as to allow a single discussion. Adambro 17:18, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
- English Wikipedia still allows w:Template:GFDL-presumed though phasing it out slowly. For Meta, how about a tag saying "either presumed under GFDL or copyrighted by Wikimedia"? Why presumed under GFDL if not copyrighted by Wikimedia? Because Meta:Copyrights says that all contributions to Meta are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License. However, do not take these logos to Wikimedia Foundation if the sources or the licenses are not fully clear, but have these logos stay here for historical interest.--Jusjih 01:30, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
Hi, On the page regarding Buddhism, it says "Buddha sexy. i like to rub his nice fat belly all night." randomly in the text, as if someone inserted it there. I just thought I'd bring this to your attention so hopefully it can be removed... Thanks. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) 16:43, 5 Dec 2007 (UTC)
- Could you let us have a link to the page you are referring to please, thanks --Herby talk thyme 16:46, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
Chavacano de Zamboanga Wikipedia
Hello. Would you please help us. We would like to know exactly when was the exact date Meta approved the creation of Chavacano Wikipedia http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org Also, I would like to know where I can have the wikimedia configure the user preference in our Chavacano wikipedia. Whenever we configure the language in our user profile http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Preferences cbk-zam is listed as cbk-zam - cbk-zam which is wrong. It should be cbk-zam - Chavacano de Zamboanga. How do I do the correction? I am the sysop of cbk-zam.wikipedia.org And finally, where will I do the necessary translation of the wikipedia donation to Chavacano that appears on every page? Thanks. --Weekeejames 02:36, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- For the language error, I think you'll need a developer to change it. For the translation, see perhaps see Help:How to start a new Wikipedia#Translate the interface, etc.. For the date of creation approval, see the archives of Requests for new languages. Hope that helps; if not, you'll have to wait for someone else. – Mike.lifeguard | @en.wb 19:02, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- Been to the archives, I can't find the exact date. --Weekeejames 20:10, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
Notice: All discussions relating to this issue is now at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babel#Chavacano_de_Zamboanga_Wikipedia Thank you. --Weekeejames 12:01, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
On Wikimedia wikis - Meta, under Other projects of Wikimedia, the link
gives the message
- Server not found
- Firefox can't find the server at sep11.wikimedia.org.
Thnidu 15:41, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- It is meant to point to http://sep11.wikipedia.org/, which in turn redirects to http://www.sep11memories.org/. Jon Harald Søby 13:29, 9 December 2007 (UTC)
- There is no personally identifiable data in those statistics. I don't see how this could be used to track a single user. Perhaps you could clarify what you think the problem is? – Mike.lifeguard | @en.wb 05:26, 13 December 2007 (UTC)
- Say, for instance, that you leave a message on my talk page at noon and I make my first edit today at 8 PM. If then the logs show something like this for User talk:NH
- 12.00 - 13.00 one hit (your edit)
- ... no hits
- 14.00 - 15.00 one hit
- ... no hits
- 22.00 - 23.00 one hit
- and my contributions show that I edited an article at 20.00, then you can draw the conclusion that User:NH was at the computer between 14 and 15, checked his/her talk page but did not answer. How? Simply because few edit with the yellow sign turned on, and there were no users (including myself) viewing my talk page until ten o'clock. (Of course, a simple solution would be to filter out user pages etc; please ignore the alarming tone in my first post).
- /NH 10:41, 13 December 2007 (UTC)
- Please come over to betawiki: this can be done there at betawiki:Special:Magic, thanks, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 23:11, 16 December 2007 (UTC)
Vandalism, socking on nv
nv:User:Acalamari is, I am willing to bet a sockpuppet that has nothing to do with en:User:Acalamari. We also have nv:User:Titsmcgee, an old sock. If any stewards would be willing to block, please do so (no admins appear to be active on nv). 126.96.36.199 12:03, 17 December 2007 (UTC)
In Chinese Wiki, the administrator broke the wiki policy and abused of power to lock all channels to stop dissenters' speech..
- I see the semi-protection to expire Fri, 21 Dec 2007 07:42:21 GMT with the reason as IP vandalism and blocked user bypassing the block to talk. If you cannot talk there, you are coming to the right place to talk. Please explain.--Jusjih 01:37, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
Where to ask for technical help?
I looked around but I didn't find (clearly) a place where to ask, I don't want to bother just here. I suppose that could be done just with parsefunctions. This could be useful for all wikis. gl:Usuario:Sobreira / -- Sobreira (parlez) 21:28, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
I want a copy of your donation system.
I want to use it on my own wiki. Where can I download the extension and documentation about how to create the bank account(s)? I really like the feature you have that lets the donor write a custom text string message associated with his donation. Tommy 18:58, 22 December 2007 (UTC)
I know this is not the correct place for this question but I don't know where to ask. What happened to the database dumps at download.wikimedia.org? A blank page appears. Malafaya 13:16, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
- It's working now. Malafaya 15:42, 28 December 2007 (UTC)