Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/Quarterly check-ins/Audiences1 Notes May 2018
Present (in the office): Victoria, Toby, Joady, Danny, Heather, Marshall, Neil, Trevor, Jaime, Heather, Joady, Megan, Katherine, Niharika, Trevor, Volker, Josh W., Joe M.
participating remotely: Subbu, Ryan K, Amir, Dayllan, Kartik, Leon, Niklas, Pau, Rummana, Shannon, Sydney, Tony Sebro, Maggie, Lisa G, Erica L, Subbu, Dan G, Erika B, Jazmin T, Nirzar, Quim G, Roan, Runa
- KM: What are we doing with this?
- DH: We are looking into right now.
- NQ: This is an investigation we track for general awareness
- VC: Is 2-month retention the right thing for us to be looking at?
- NQ: Picture doesn't look that different if you adjust the time period.
- KM: Can you clarify default option for new users?
- DG: Varies on wiki by wiki basis. English Wikipedia is exception (VE is default).
- KM: You published a second report. Can you talk more about the outcomes?
- DG: Sure, I have some graphs in the next slides.
- HW: What does successful mean?
- DG: It's how many people saved their edit.
- KM: What percentage of unsuccessful edits are because they are blocked?
- DG: I can find that out.
*TN: We've hired a data analyst starting in a few weeks.
- TN: nice to see editors use template styles for better mobile experiences.
- Maggie: Any way to track. retention within a session?
- Amir: Not currently but plan to do more analysis.
- Maggie: Great that we are helping poeple find content and would be good to see impact.
- VC: Waht's the gray vs blue?
- Pau: Blue is published. Grey is in progress.
- VC: Do we have data over longer period?
- Pau: Yes, we have API and monthly reports.
- Lisa: Data from 2015 to 2016?
- Pau: There is a link at the bottom of the slide for more recent data.
- Pau: Depending on language, there could be multiple content translations available.
- VC: What's the situation with google translate?
- Pau: With legal to examine external services. For technical side no issues but need to check licensing.
- TN: We talked to Dan Foy. Expect update.
- VC: Can we click on names and go to article? I remember seeing some interesting things in toolforge.
- TN: Great example of some things community can do. It's not a priority based on resources.
- RK: Users can add markers to maps to link to articles
KM: Community is very happy to see this.
- MM: New users will have to submit new articles for the AFC
- KM: Interested in social queues provided to community.
- MM: looking at improving language provided to new users so they can navigate better. Communit wants us to focus on software.
- KM: Let's offer to help review text.
* KM: Apologies to those who time got compressed. Really appreciate conversation.