Wikimedia Foundation Board Governance Committee/Board transparency
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This page is currently a draft. More information pertaining to this may be available on the talk page.
Translation admins: Normally, drafts should not be marked for translation.
- How to increase Board transparency?
- What do we understand under this word? What does it mean to us?
- How to tackle it?
- What are the ways to reach it?
Ideas & Suggestions
- Publishing draft agendas one week ahead
- Comment: It is possible only for planned meetings;
- Publishing minutes timely (two weeks after the meeting?)
- Support: It is difficult to remember exactly how the meeting went, unless you took notes. So reviewing the minutes becomes formal
- A staff-elected ombudsperson as an observer at the Board meetings
- Comment: No need to be present during all Board meetings
- A Community Broker as an observer at Board meetings
- Community requests for discussion (=sufficiently well-supported topics to be placed on the Board's agenda)
- Unpublished resolutions
- Comment: it seems that the Chair of the Board has the power to determine that a resolution should not be published (see wmf:Vote:Board deliberations). The Board to commit itself to publishing for every resolution either the full text or a dated statement that a non-public resolution was passed (see Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard/Archives/2016#Unpublished resolutions)
Visibility & Access
- Creating a Board updates page on Meta
- Comment: The Communications team does not have enough resources budgeted for this year
- Comment: A centralized place? Grants:IdeaLab/A place to work together
- One (rotating?) person from the Board responsible for quick summary of a board meeting
- Comment: Dariusz volunteered
- Board Q&A with answers to all questions
- Be better at follow-through
- Comment: It is impossible without documenting what has been done already, what was discussed, what is planned etc
- Sharing long-term strategy
- Comment: see Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard/Archives/2016#Deep_strategy. The ED and Board has only started working on the concept of this
- Comment: A place "for strategic interaction between the Community and the WMF leadership on the long-term direction of the mission and a high-level view of the technical programmes required to deliver it" (see Grants:IdeaLab/Strategy Alpha)
Board Committee Meetings
- Discussion at Wikimania 2016 Wikimania2016-discussion2a
- Wikimedia Foundation transparency gap
- Requests for information
- Increasing Board transparency (May 2016)
- Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard