- This message, "Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process", was sent to Wikimedia-l by María Sefidari on 19 July 2018.
In 2017, the Wikimedia movement began a collaborative process to define what we want to build or achieve together by 2030. After eight months of discussion, across languages, geographies, and contexts, the outcome was a Strategic Direction focused on knowledge as a service and knowledge equity:
"By 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us."
Now our task as a movement is to apply the Strategic Direction to our own work. We need to answer questions that define our path forward: What kind of structures are ideal for achieving our strategic direction? What resources and capacities do we need to develop? How do we relate to each other and make decisions as a movement? How do we manage change in a healthy, sustainable way?
Over the next year, the Wikimedia movement will engage in a structured, distributed process to answer these questions. The process will be structured around Working Groups who will develop guidance in key Thematic Areas.
The Board of Trustees is committed to the Movement Strategy process and each of us will join one of the Working Groups:
- Roles & Responsibilities: Nataliia
- Revenue Streams: Tanya
- Resource Allocation: María
- Partnerships: Raju
- Community Health: James
- Product & Technology: Christophe
- Capacity Building: Dariusz
- Diversity: Esra’a
- Advocacy: Jimmy
We will play two specific roles in this process:
- Individually, as members of the Working Groups
- participate mindfully in their individual capacity,
- bring our their content expertise and experience to the discussion,
- ensure the information flow from the Working Group to the Board,
- support an effective, and inclusive process.
- Collectively, as the Board of Trustees
- review recommendations from each Working Group and provide feedback,
- resolve difficult questions as required and adhere to decisions made,
- delegate approval of recommendations to an appropriate community mechanism whenever possible (such as endorsement or consensus),
- make decisions when there is no other mechanism to make the decision,
- accept the recommendations that are consistent with the movement's values, the Strategic Direction as well as law and other compliance requirements,
- direct resources, budgets and capacities for the implementation of approved recommendations.
This statement captures the perspective of the Board of Trustees, and we believe that the process is a unique opportunity for the movement to build and shape our future together. We will participate in strategy conversations and sessions at Wikimania, and look forward to contributing throughout the process together with many of you. We encourage those who are attending Wikimania to also join these conversations and all Wikimedians to participate in all the upcoming strategic conversations and consultations.
On behalf of the Board,