વિકિમીડિયા ફાઉન્ડેશન ચૂંટણી/૨૦૨૧
|2021 Board Elections|
|Call for Candidates|
The 2021 Board of Trustees elections are 4 August 2021 to 17 August 2021. Members of the Wikimedia community have the opportunity to elect four candidates to a three-year term. The Call for Candidates opened on 9 June 2021.
Join the Board selection chat on Telegram.
The specific details about the upcoming election will be decided by the Elections Committee. This timeline will be updated once that information is available.
- 2021-04-15 Board resolution about the upcoming elections
- 2021-04-29 Call for Election Volunteers
- 2021-06-09 to 2021-06-29 Call for Candidates
- 2021-06-30 to 2021-07-02 Announcement of confirmed candidates
- 2021-07-07 to 2021-08-03 Candidates campaign
- 2021-08-04 Voting opens
- 2021-08-17 Voting closes
- 2021-08-18 - 2021-08-24 Vote counting and processing
- 2021-08-25 Announcement of vote results
- 2021 September Board appoints selected candidates
The Board election facilitators created a graphic of the timeline. This can be used to share information about the election.The graphic is available in more languages.
Single transferrable vote will be used as the voting method. Additional details on voter eligibility and instructions for the voting tool will be announced soon.
Information for candidates
The 2021 Board of Trustees elections are held 4 August 2021 to 17 August 2021. Members of the Wikimedia community have the opportunity to elect four candidates to a three-year term. The Call for Candidates opened on 9 June 2021.
Voter turnout in prior elections was about 10% globally. It was better in communities with volunteer election support. Some of those communities reached over 20% voter turnout.
Do you want to help improve voter numbers in your community? You don’t need to have experience in elections. Election Volunteers can help promote the Board election in their community. Volunteers from all Wiki Projects are welcome! The aim is to have at least one Election Volunteer for Wiki Projects in the top 30 for eligible voters. Help form a more diverse and better performing Board of Trustees by getting your community involved in the election!
There are many conversations happening around the world about the Board of Trustees selection. Come join the conversations!
- Telegram Board Selection chat
- The Board election facilitation team will share announcements and updates here.
- Election Volunteers from South Asia
- Primarily to coordinate Election Volunteers for South Asian communities, but anyone is welcome to join to contribute or just observe.
- Add link here so others may join the conversation
- Elections Committee
- Facilitation team
- Quim Gil- Coordination
- Jackie Koerner- Facilitation for English language and Meta-Wiki
- Denis Barthel- Facilitation for German language and North and Western Europe affiliates
- Mahuton Possoupe- Facilitation for French language
- Vanj Padilla- Facilitation for East, South-East Asia and Pacific region
- Krishna C. Velaga- Facilitation for South Asia region
- Ravan Al-Taie- Facilitation for Middle East and North Africa region
- Mehman Ibragimov- Facilitation for Central and Eastern Europe region
- Zita Zage- Facilitation for Sub-Saharan Africa region
- Oscar Costero- Facilitation for Latin America region
- Mohammed Bachounda- Facilitation support for French language and MENA region
The Board of Trustees elections were due in 2020 to elect three of the Community trustees seats. In April 2020, the Board announced that the voting process was being postponed. The Board of Trustees announced in April 2021 the plan for the 2021 Board elections. The Board is seeking to increase diversity and participation in Board elections.
The Board has expanded to 16 seats to better cover the increasing work and areas of expertise required to steer the Wikimedia Foundation. This expansion was based in part on recommendations from an external governance review.
- 3 new Community- and Affiliate-selected seats
- 3 new Board-selected seats
Four seats will be up for selection in 2021, the three due for renewal and a fourth from the approved Board expansion. The two other new community-and-affiliate seats approved will be selected during 2022, together with the two affiliate seats that will be due (four in total).