Wikimedia Polska/Plans for 2015
Plans of Wikimedia Polska for 2014
The following plans are written as a starting point for talks with the Wikimedia Foundation about allowing us, Stowarzyszenie Wikimedia Polska, to use the central- and site-notice banners on Polish Wikimedia projects for our 1%-tax deductible donations collecting campaign or to be able to link our fundraising page from the main fundraising site of Wikimedia Foundation between January 1st and April 30th, 2015.
The plans are based on a preliminary budget for 2014/2015 approved by the General Assembly  of Wikimedia Polska with some updates approved by The Board of Wikimedia Polska.
As it is shown in our report, the main source of income for Wikimedia Polska are 1% tax deductible donations. According to the Polish tax law, Polish taxpaying individuals can choose one and only one NGO with a tax deductible status to donate it with 1% of their income tax. This is conducted via an income tax form, which taxpayers have to fill each year between January 15 and April 30, submitting it to their loca tax office, and does not bring any additional costs nor difficulties for donors. See our 2011 chapter report for more details regarding this system.
Be reminded that this system can be used by a Polish entity only - potential Polish donors can only support WMF by their non-tax-deductible donations. Moreover, the tax-deductible status needs to be recognized by Polish state and Wikimedia Polska meets this obligation.
In 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Wikimedia Polska and Wikimedia Foundation had an agreement – similar to the general fundraising agreement for chapters but slightly adjusted to a unique situation in Poland.
Content creation projects
- Wikiexpedition - 50,000 PLN
- Wikiexpedition is an expedition around one of the regions of Poland in order to gather documentation (especially photographic) concerning the chosen area. The first Wikiexpedition took place in 2008 and since then it has been subsequently repeated, producing around 3000-5000 pictures a year. In 2015 we plan to make several expeditions. The first one in Poland with possible cooperation with other Wikimedia Chapters (Czech, Slovak, maybe Ukrainian), and the second one using railways around all Poland in cooperation with Polish State Railways. The main cost of the Wikiexpeditions is travel and accommodation. See: . Except the expeditions in Poland we also want to organize the expedition to East Asia  together with a group of experienced travelers, which already successfully finished expedition to Sibera in 2013.
- Wiki Photo Contests - 50,000 PLN
- Wiki Loves Monuments contest was organized in Poland in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. In 2012 and 2013 we were the most successful country out of all in terms of number of uploaded pictures. We feel that the participants in Poland are tired as almost all of our monuments are already well-documented. Therefore, we are thinking of switching to Wiki Loves Earth or Wiki Loves Art - or yet another similar idea. For sure, we want to organize a big photo contest again.
- Wikigrants - 20,000 PLN
- Wikigrants is our local micro-grant system which started in 2006 and proved to be effective. The typical submissions are for 100-500 PLN, mainly to buy books needed for writing articles or to reimburse costs of travel to the museums and archives. The 9th edition of the wikigrants proved to be very effective. We want to continue the project in the 10th edition. See .
- GLAM coordinator budget - 50,000 PLN
- We have hired a GLAM coordinator at the end of 2014, and are about to expand our GLAM cooperation. Among others, there are plans to cooperate with the State Ethnographic Museum in Warsaw, Zachęta Art Gallery, Museum of the History of Polish Jews in Warsaw, Warsaw Uprising Museum, and several other institutions. There are also 3 ongoing cooperations with: Central Archives of Historical Records / AGAD, State Archive in Poznań and Chancellery of the Senate of the Republic of Poland.
- Reserve for new ideas - 30,000 PLN
- Every year Polish Wikimedians present their new ideas for content creation projects. For example, in 2014 the idea of recording fairly-tales appeared and were approved by the Board. As already in 2014, some new proposals on a very early stage have been presented and we keep motivating the community to present their ideas, more to come should be expected. Therefore we need to provide some funds to be ready to finance such novel initiatives.
- Total - 200,000 PLN
- POTY/WLM exhibition continuation - 10,000 PLN
- The POTY mobile exhibition was introduced in 2011. The printed reproductions of winning pictures from the years 2006-2012 are presented in publicly accessible places across Poland in order to promote Wikimedia Commons, Wikimedia/Wikipedia, Free Culture and Licenses. In 2012/2014 it was presented in 22 Polish cities, and proved to be a good promotion and outreach event, also "waking up" small local communities in cities and towns across Poland. We want to continue the exhibition - probably mixed with the winners of Polish Wiki Loves Monuments. The costs are: shipping the pictures, printing new ones (if they are scratched), sometimes hiring space for the exhibition.
- Wikiworkshops - 20,000 PLN
- Wikimedia Polska provides wikiworkshops for target groups of potential editors. In 2012, 9 Wikiworkshops were organized, in 2013 - 14 and in 2014 - 16 of them, so we expect to have around 18-20 in 2015. The cost of Wikiworkshops is travel reimbursement for trainers and sometimes cost of hiring the place.
- Thematic weeks contest - 5000 PLN
- This new initiative is to support most active Wikipedians creating good articles by buying them books useful for writing Wikipedia as prizes for active participation in Wikipedia's Thematic Weeks. See more .
- Wikipedia R&D volunteer team - 5000 PLN
- The team is about to build, improve and maintain useful Polish Wikimedia projects in cooperation with WMF Engineering and Product Development department. The group will maintain their own usability studies, help test and localize new gadgets and tools developed by WMF's EPD department, as well as create own ones. More information: 
- Wiki Loves Wilda - 2000 PLN
- The project started in 2014 - this is a mixed project of local wikiworkshops and promoting Wikipedia by putting plates with QR-codes on notable buildings in Wilda - a historical district of Poznan.
- Professional PR/press officer - 40,000 PLN
- On October 1 2014 the head of the press office and press officer were appointed for 6 months in order to professionally organize our relations with the media and effectively maintain all our PR issues. If successful - we want to continue hiring them for all 2015.
- Production of leaflets/brochures/gadgets - 20,000 PLN
- We regularly produce various brochures, leaflets and gadgets such as pens, T-shirts, bags etc. which are used as a promotional material during conferences, meetings, workshops, POTY exhibition etc. We produced a lot of them at the end of 2014 - so expect to spend less on them during 2015.
- External conferences/meetings - 5,000 PLN
- We regularly receive invitations to various external conferences and meetings, therefore we want to reserve some money for this purpose.
- Reserve for new ideas - 10,000 PLN
- Total - 117,000 PLN
- Polish Wikimedia Annual Conference - 50,000 PLN
- Polish Wikimedia Annual Conference is about to be organized for the 10th time. This is the main meeting of Polish Wikimedians as well as invited guests from other open-content organizations and Wikimedians from neighboring countries. Usually 150-200 people attend the conference. In 2015 the conference is planned to be organized in Bydgoszcz.
- Public Domain Day - 5000 PLN
- Public Domain Day is a meeting organized by the Coalition for Open Education of which Wikimedia Polska is an active member. The meeting is about celebrating the end of copyright protection of works of people who died 70 years ago and it is a part of the World Public Domain Day celebration. It is attended by many people from GLAM organizations, journalists, etc. Wikimedia Polska traditionally covers part of the costs of the meeting. In 2015 it is about to be organized on January 13 in the Museum of Warsaw Uprising and will be combined with an Edit-a-thons.
- Local meetings - 20,000 PLN
- Every year there are several local Wikipedian meetings organized spontaneously. Wikimedia Polska traditionally supports such meetings by covering costs of space and catering.
- Coalition for Open Education summer meeting - 5000 PLN
- Coalition for Open Education (KOED) is a group of 24 organizations working together on issues such as open content, free-licensed educational materials etc, of which Wikimedia Polska is a founding member. In 2014 there was a summer-camp meeting of representatives of KOED which was quite successful. We want to organize this also in 2015.
- Total - 80,000 PLN
- CEE Meeting - 15,000 PLN (our part)
- We'd like to organize a CEE Meeting in Warsaw in the autumn of 2015, which we can co-sponsor with WMF. The overall cost would be probably around 20,000 USD of which we may donate 25% of the costs, which is roughly 15,000 PLN.
- Scholarship for the Wikimedia Conference - 20,000 PLN
- We traditionally support Wikimedia Conference by donating several scholarships for neighboring countries. We want to continue this in 2015.
- Wikimania scholarships - 50,000 PLN
- As in previous years, we want to donate several scholarships for Wikimania - both for Polish and foreign wikimedians. The number of the scholarships will depend of the cost of the conference and travel.
- Scholarships for foreign guests for meetings in Poland - 15,000 PLN
- Every year we invite 3-5 guests from neighboring countries to our Annual Conference and other meetings. We want to continue this tradition in 2015 as well.
- Support for Free Knowledge Advocacy Group (EU) and scholarships to Brussels - 15,000 PLN
- We decided to financially support Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU  office in Brussels (2000 EUR) and also support 2-3 scholarships for volunteers visiting the office (3 x 500 EUR).
- Total - 115,000 PLN
- Office/wages (renting office space, equipment, Internet access, phone bills, legal advice etc) - 75,000 PLN
- Other (domains, server, travels of employees and board members etc.) - 25,000 PLN
- Total - 100,000 PLN
Overall planned budget
|Name||Amount (PLN)||Amount (USD)||%|