Wikimedia Summit 2019/Boards Training
The Board Member training 2019
Once again we will organize a training for board members from Wikimedia affiliates. The 2019 training will focus on board members from affiliates with ED and/or staff. Topics that will be dealt with include the role of the board, the relation with staff members and will include personal skills and competences needed to perform well in a governing board.
The broader aim of the board member training is to support Wikimedia affiliates by improving the skills and competences of individual board members. This will be accomplished by transfer of knowledge and sharing experiences from other affiliates, and building a network between the participants.
The various sessions of the training will be moderated by experienced board members from Wikimedia affiliates. For the session on personal skills a professional trainer will be selected.
The chairpersons’ meeting is the main sponsor of the training. There is a small project board that is made up of the chairs of WMDE, WMNL, WMSE, WMUK. Logistics will be facilitated by WMDE. Organizers and facilitators of the training are Frans Grijzenhout and Tim Moritz Hector.
Time and place
Monday + Tuesday April 1 and 2, immediately after the Wikimedia Summit 2019, at the office of Wikimedia Deutschland, Tempelhofer Ufer 23–24, 10963 Berlin.
Focus on recently elected board members of larger Wikimedia organizations with staff. (The same target group as in April 2016). In order to gain optimal results we want to limit the number of attendees to 12.
Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November 2 and end on December 17, 2018. Registration for the Boards training is not included in the WM-Summit registration procedure. There will be a seperate registration form, sent out at the same time as the WM-Summit.
All chairpersons will be informed about this training separately. Board members that want to participate in this training need a recommendation from their chair.
Participation fee is € 95, to be invoiced by WMDE. Travel and accommodation have to be arranged and paid by the participants themselves. We will recommend an hotel in the vicinity of the training.
Monday April 1, 2019 - 9:30 - 18:00
- 09.30 - 09.45 Introduction
- 09.45 - 11.15 Session 1: My task as a board member - Moderator: Tim Moritz Hector (WMDE)
- 11.30 - 13.00 Session 2: Strategic planning and monitoring from a board member perspective - Moderator: Frans Grijzenhout (WMNL)
- 14.00 - 16.00 Session 3: The Interaction and Cooperation with ED and staff – Moderators: Chris Keating (WMUK) and Sandra Rientjes (WMNL)
- 14.00 Intro & Goals
- 14.10 The Five S model - Chris
- 14.55 When the Board is also an Employer - Sandra
- 15.35 If it goes wrong - Chris
- 15.50 Wrapup
- 16.15 - 17.45 Session 4: Bylaws, regulations & protocols – Moderator: Lukas Mezger (WMDE)
- 17.45 - 18.00 Closing, share first impressions
Tuesday April 2, 2019 - 9:30 - 17:00
Personal skills and competences (sessions 5 - 8) – Moderator: Ralph Piotrowski (Socius)
- 09:30 - 10:15 Session 5: Exchange in small groups: experiences and main challenges
- 10:15 - 11:30 Session 6: Input & exchange on leadership skills & competences
- 11.45 - 13:00 Session 7: Input & exchange on preventing and handling conflicts
- 14.00 - 15:30 Session 8: Case Clinics in smaller groups
- 15.30 - 16:00 Wrap-up
- 16:00 - 16:30 Evaluation training (all)
- All materials developed and used for this training will be published on the Board Member Support page where it is freely available for further use.
- Information about previous trainings in 2014 , 2016 , 2017 and 2018.
List of Participants
- Florencia Claes (Wikimedia Spain)
- Ana Cravo (Wikimedia Portugal)
- Lionel Scheepmans (Wikimedia Belgium)
- Wojciech Pędzich (Wikimedia Poland)
- Brit Stakston (Wikimedia Sweden)
- Lizzy Jongma (Wikimedia Netherlands)
- Biyanto Rebin (Wikimedia Indonesia)
- Bobby Shabangu (Wikimedia South Africa)
- Neko Rama (Wikimedia Switzerland)
- Ihor Turzhanskyy (Wikimedia Ukraine)
- Evaluation Board Member training 2019, including the organizational aspects
- Frans Grijzenhout (WMNL) – email@example.com
- Tim Moritz Hector (WMDE) – firstname.lastname@example.org