Wikimedia UK/Events/Discussion about priorities for the English Wikipedia
Time and date: Tuesday 17th November from 5 to 7pm UTC
In 2017 the Wikimedia Foundation facilitated the creation of a strategic direction to guide the global Wikimedia movement into the future. The goal is that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join.
Over the past three years, people from across the global Wikimedia movement have come together to discuss how we can work towards this. The result is a set of underlying principles and ten recommendations, each with accompanying initiatives and actions.
We are now in a transitional stage between the creation of the strategy and its implementation. This is a crucial moment to explore how the English language community can contribute to the implementation of the strategy, and have a say in how the recommendations are prioritised.
Inspired by the Movement Strategy's 10-year vision, Wikimedia UK would like to hear from volunteers based anywhere in the world who contribute to English Wikipedia about where the movement should focus its efforts in 2021. We will be joined by a number of Wikimedia Foundation staff members including Katherine Maher (Executive Director/CEO) and Ryan Merkley (Chief of Staff).
- Introductions and welcome
- Presentation of principles, recommendations and initiatives
- Working in breakout groups to explore which recommendations and initiatives will respond to the needs of the English Wikipedia community
- Plenary session to identify global, movement-wide priorities for 2021
- Wrapping up/close of meeting
Please register for this event by completing this Google Form OR signing up below.
- Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 11:45, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
- Rajeeb (talk) 19:39, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
- ToniSant (talk) 12:19, 13 November 2020 (UTC) (I'm only able to attend the second hour)
- Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 13:22, 13 November 2020 (UTC)
- Mccapra (talk) 15:05, 16 November 2020 (UTC)
- Sara Thomas (WMUK) (talk) 16:32, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 16:52, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- SHISHIR DUA (talk) 18:59, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
The zoom link for this meeting is:
Meeting ID: 832 0110 1611 Passcode: 069429