Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand
|Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand|
|Approval date||17 December 2019|
|Official language(s)||English, Māori|
Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand is a Wikimedia user group of Wikimedians who are interested in organising and participating in outreach activities in New Zealand.
There was an attempt to create a local chapter a few years ago. One of the goals of this group is to renew a discussion about creating a chapter in the future. Before we can make a chapter, we need to have run a User Group with a range of well-documented activities for a couple of years, so this is the first step.
Our mission and goals
- Represent the Wikimedia Foundation’s mission in New Zealand: to empower and engage people to collect and develop educational content under a free license, so it can be shared and reused freely for any purpose
- Represent the contributors of Wikimedia projects from New Zealand
- Provide qualified support for our own members and public
- Streamline the activities of individual members and institutions into the same group
- Empower members and support their activities
- Develop and maintain long-lasting relationships with New Zealand institutions that share the same or similar goals: universities, museums, libraries, and archives
Future plans and projects
- Consolidate our communication channels into an email database.
- Keep organizing editathons in Wellington, monthly meetings in Christchurch and provide support for our Auckland editors to start regular meetings in our biggest city.
- In Christchurch, we’d like to reach out to the public and invite new contributors to our monthly meetings where we’d like to provide them all the support they need.
- Apply for funding from Wikimedia Foundation that would allow us to cover our running costs including traveling to different cities for appropriate events like book festivals and library conferences where we’d like to promote Wikimedia's projects and WMF mission in New Zealand.
- Organize Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in partnership with Heritage New Zealand.
- Participate in Wiki Loves Monuments or Wiki Loves Earth - see the project page Wiki Loves Monuments New Zealand
Further down the track
- Eventually, we'd like to create a regular chapter that would serve not only for contributors from New Zealand but for the whole South Pacific including Niue, Samoa, Cook Islands, Tonga or Fiji. New Zealand has strong ties with the Pacific Islands and it’s widely seen as the main center of the Southern Pacific with large Pacific Island populations living in New Zealand. We'd like our chapter to be no different. This is a big vision for us and we know we have a long way to go, but as editors who have been involved with Wikimedia’s movement for many years, we have learned that with patience and hard, consistent work we can reach our goals.
- We'd also like to reach out to users of Te Reo Māori and encourage the revitalisation of Wikipedia Māori
- Run and document activities for 2–3 years
- Set up a legal structure
- Find enough active members within the local community (we need 10, ideally 20 active members)
Where we meet
There are regular meetings that are currently held in Wellington and Christchurch. There are irregular meetings in other cities across the country too.
For more information, please see relevant pages on English Wikipedia:
How to join
Our membership is and will remain open to everyone. If you wish to join Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand, simply put your name in the section below. We also recommend to join our FB group where we discuss current issues around Wikimedia projects in relation to Aotearoa. It'd be great if you could show up on one of our regular meetings (see above).
- Podzemnik (talk) 12:34, 19 January 2019 (UTC)
- Jonathanischoice (talk) 12:56, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Giantflightlessbirds (talk) 20:05, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Ambrosia10 (talk) 23:18, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Kiwichris (talk) 07:09, 22 January 2019 (UTC)
- Stuartyeates (talk) 04:44, 10 February 2019 (UTC)
- Schwede66 (talk) 06:10, 30 May 2019
- Einebillion (talk) 01:39, 8 June 2019 (UTC)
- MurielMary (talk) 10:57, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- DrThneed (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- OhValencia (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Catsandthings (talk) 07:24, 23 December 2019 (UTC)