Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021/Submissions/Lingua Libre - record your language
- Your username: Adélaïde Calais WMFr
- Presenters: Adélaïde Calais WMFr
- Email address: adelaide.calaisATwikimedia.fr
- Affiliation Wikimedia France
- Title: Lingua Libre - record your language
- Language: English
- Type: Presentation
- Time needed: 30 min
- Narrate your plan in details:
Lingua Libre is a website created by Wikimedia France and User:0x010C to allow wikimedians to record vocabulary (and sentences if they wish to) in any language. Lingua Libre aims to build a collaborative, multilingual, audiovisual corpus under free licence in order to:
- Expand knowledge about languages and in languages in an audiovisual way on the web, on Wikimedia projects and outside ;
- Support the development of online language communities — particularly those of poorly endowed, minority, regional, oral or signed languages — in order to help communities accessing online information and to ensure the vitality of the languages of these communities.
It recently was granted the coolest tool award in the diversity category.
In my conference I would like to introduce Lingua Libre, its goals and challenges in 10 minutes, then show how it works in ten minutes as well. I would like to finish by showcasing one wikimedian's work who recorded an extraordinary number of words in Bengali over just a few months in the hope that it inspire others to do the same.
- Any support you need: possibility to share my screen.
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in India?: Lingua Libre is a great tool to document language diversity, which is so vibrant in India and its bot makes it easy to reuse the files on wikimedia projects. It can also help you bring new people to wikimedian projects because it is very easy to contribute to - a phone's microphone and a 3G connection are enough to record 800 words in 1 hour. It is very rewarding because the recordings are automatically uploaded to wikimedia commons and are an excellent reason to look into adding wikimedia commons files to wikipedia or wiktionary pages.