Wikimedia user groups/Applications/Wikimedia Turkey User Group
Proposed name of Wikimedia user group: (There are some templates at Step-by-step user group creation guide#Naming of user groups.)
- Wikimedia Turkey User Group
Proposed scope of Wikimedia user group: (What is the planned purpose, scope, vision, or mission of this Wikimedia user group?)
- Coordination and introduction of Wikimedia projects
- Regular online meetings on IRC and Skype
- Development of co-op projects and collaboration with universities, museums, libraries, galleries, foundations and non-profit institutions
- Development of co-op projects with the official institutions of Republic of Turkey
- Carrying out the process of informing the community and the public about the appropriate usage of content of Wikimedia projects
- Funding the Wikimedia projects
- Participating in fairs and conferences
- Getting in contact with the owner of Turkish content on the Internet in order to encourage them prefer free license
- Working on the formation of Wikimedia Turkey chapter.
- Please see the Meta page Wikimedia Turkey User Group (created January 2016).
1. Who are the people behind this application? A group of wikimedians who are active contributors of the Turkish Wikipedia and its sister projects. See here: Member list.
- 1a. How many?
- 17 editors joined the initiative (from 10th of October 2015 till the end of October 2015)
- 1b. Active in which Wikimedia projects, if any?
- Our members are mostly active in at least one of the following Wikimedia projects while each member is active in many other projects.
- Turkish Wikipedia - 17
- Wikidata – at least 12
- Commons – at least 8
- Meta-Wiki – at least 7
- English Wikipedia – at least 5
- Turkish Wikiquote – at least 4
- Outreach – at least 2
- 1c. How are they geographically distributed?
- Out of 17, all members that spreaded throughout Turkey are as follows; 12 from İstanbul, 1 from Bursa, 1 from Bolu, 1 from İzmir, 1 from Trabzon, and 1 from Samsun.
- 1d. Do you have any highly active or prominent (on local or international level) Wikimedians / Wikipedians? If so, please name a few. (provide user names and wiki of origin)
- 6 of our members are administrators in TRWP, two of these admins are also Bureaucrats and 1 of them is an OTRS Agent, so these users could be considered highly active or somewhat prominenet. The users in question are as follows (in alphabetical order): User:elmacenderesi, User:Khutuck, User:kibele, User:Sakhalinio, User:Superyetkin and User:Théoden.
- Furthermore; in terms of edit count, we have two of the highest contributed members of TRWP; User:Rapsar and User:Vikiçizer; and in terms of project participation, some of our members such as User:Başak and User:Mavrikant are quite active, as well.
- 1e. How many people do you expect will eventually want to join?
- There are already many users in the community that are quite enthusiastic about the projects which we as a group are planing to organize, so although it is not mandatory for the users to become a member of this user group in order to participate in any of the aforementioned projects nevertheless, they might yet eventually take interest in joining us and if they do, we will be welcoming them wholeheartedly as long as they are generally well-received and trusted members of the community.
2. For the application and final agreement we will require two contact persons that can sign the Wikimedia User Group Agreement on behalf of the group. Who will those be? (please provide user names and wiki of origin) Please also include email addresses for these users either on this page or in your initial email to the Affiliations Committee (AffComlists.wikimedia.org).
(emails were provided via email to AffCom)
3. Please give a short summary of your time path from the founding up to now.
- Türkçe Vikipedi, Kasım 2002’de yapılan ilk katkı ile birlikte internet üzerinde yayına başlamıştır. 2004 yılından itibaren medyada yer almaya başlayan Türkçe Vikipedi Ocak 2007’de Altın Örümcek Web Ödülleri'nde "En İyi İçerik" dalında ödül kazanmıştır. Türkçe Vikipedi, Türkiye'nin yanı sıra Türk dillerini kullanan ülkelerin de, kendi dillerinde Wikipedia oluşturmaları ve katkı sağlamaları aşamalarında başvuru kılavuzu olarak kullanılmıştır. Türkçe konuşan sayısı her ne kadar 63 milyon olarak gösterilse de, Türkçe anlayan kişi sayının dünya genelinde 100 milyon civarında olduğu bilinmektedir. Türkçe Vikipedi'ye Türk üniversiteleri 2010 yılından itibaren oluşturulan projeler dâhilinde tam kapsamlı olarak destek vermiş ve katkılarda bulunmuşlardır. Üniversitelerde yapılan buluşmaların ilki 17 Kasım 2006'da Bahçeşehir Üniversitesi'nde gerçekleştirilmiştir. Sonraki dönemlerde düzenlenen buluşmaların bazıları da yine üniversitelerin desteğinde, yapılmıştır. Türkçe Vikipedi 2008 yılı Şubat ayında 100.000 makale sayısına ulaşmıştır. 5 Kasım 2015 tarihi itibariyle 255.164 makalesi bulunan Türkçe Vikipedi, 30’uncu en büyük Vikipedi sürümüdür. 2014 yılından itibaren yetkin kullanıcıların desteği ve teşviki ile Türkçe Vikipedi'nin geliştirilmesi ve özellikle üniversiteler bazında daha fazla katkıda bulunulmasının sağlanması amacıyla yapılan çalışmalara hız verilmiştir. Katkıda bulunan yeni kullanıcıların daha hızlı bir şekilde vikiye adaptasyonunun sağlanması amacıyla Vikipedi Eğitim Programı’nın Türkçe sürümü hazırlık çalışmaları Outreach ve Meta’da hızla devam etmektedir ve çalışmalar hali hazırda Köy Çeşmesi üzerinden aktif halde yürütülmektedir. Wikimedia Türkiye Kullanıcı Grubu’nun kurulması adına sürdürülen hazırlık çalışmalarına 10 Ekim 2015 itibariyle başlanmıştır. Çalışmalara başlanan tarihten bu bu yana 7 toplantı düzenlenmiştir. Oluşturulacak kullanıcı grubu ile birlikte, Türkçe Vikipedi'nin Türkiye'de her anlamda daha aktif olmasının sağlanması amaçlanmaktadır.
4. Which geographical area and context do you cover (or plan to cover) with your entity?
- Geographical area: The Republic of Turkey, as well as international collaborations with other Wikimedia Chapters and User Groups.
- Context: We are planing to organize events and projects mainly within the areas of following subjects; Education, Culture, Art, Science, Heritage, History and pretty much any other subject that would help our community to grow and aid us in our cause to enrich the overall value of Wikimedia, as a whole.
5. Have there been any activities/meetings etc. of this group of people? If yes, please briefly describe some examples. This is not a requirement, just helpful information.
- There have been a number of meetings and events orginised by the community in past years in which some of our founding members have participated. There have been however, 7 meetings since the official decision of forming the user group.
- Istanbul Meet-up (10 October 2015) – 5 participants
- Online Meeting (19 October 2015) – 8 participants
- Online Meeting (24 October 2015) – 14 participants
- Online Meeting (3 November 2015) – 15 participants
6. Do you keep any monthly/half-yearly/yearly reports of you activities? If yes, please provide links. This is not a requirement, just helpful information.
7. What kind of activities are planned for the future in the user group?
- Paralel to our efforts on forming the user group we are currently working on the following projects:
- Wikipedia Education Project
- Wikipedia Library
- Spoken Wikipedia (collaboration with university students)
Here are some of the projects we are planing to initiate and coordinate in near future;
- Wiki Loves Monuments (and/or any of its varieties)
- Collaboration Project
- Interwiki Translation Project
- Furthermore, we are planing to encourage the members of our community to participate in various “personal challenge” projects such as PhotoChallenge and 100Wikidays and provide them with guidance in their efforts on such projects.
8. Is you entity already legally registered? Do you intend on becoming a legally registered entity in the next thirteen months? Please note that we do not require or encourage user groups to legally incorporate or register.
- No, our entity is not legally registered. The ultimate goal of this user group is to form the Wikimedia Turkey Chapter by becoming a legally registered entity but it is not within our plans to do so in the next thirteen months.
9. Do you have a bylaws for you entity? If yes, have the bylaws been reviewed by a lawyer/specialist? Please note that we do not require or encourage user groups to write bylaws.
10. How can the Affiliations Committee and the Wikimedia Foundation help your group? Here is a wish list for our group with the devices which we will require for many of our projects. The items are listed according to the priority of our need for them, starting with the most required item:
- email@example.com - An official email address assigned to our user group.
- Camera with both HD Photography and HD Video Recording features – requiring at least 2 units (required for almost any of our projects since the visual material is the most important and valuable material for most –if not all-wikimedia projects)
- Epidiascope (required for presentations at conferences, seminars, meetings, etc.)
- Tablet Computer w/ Sim Card (would be very useful for showing project drafts, ideas etc. at meetings and appoitments with bureaucrats.)
- Laptop (required for presentations at conferences, seminars, meetings, etc.)
- Voice Recorder (required for Spoken Wikipedia Project, Interviews, etc.)