Wikimedians of North India
Wikimedians of North India,(Sanskrit: उत्तरभारतीयाः विकिपीडियासदस्याः Hindi: उत्तरी भारत के विकिपीडियन्स, Gurmukhi: ਵਿਕਿਮੀਡੀਅਨਜ਼ ਆਫ਼ ਦਾ ਨਾਰਥ ਇੰਡੀਆ, Shahmukhi: وکمیڈیئنز آف دا نارتھ انڈیا) is a proposed Wikimedia User Group of active Wikimedians living in, around or connected to North India Region of India primarily comprising area of North Cultural Zone which includes Chandigarh/Chandigarh Capital Region and States of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, J&K, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Rajasthan. Although watertight and geographical compartmentalisation is neither suitable nor desirable for free knowledge movement of the Wikipedia projects yet in broad sense the focus area will cover cultural region of erstwhile Greater Punjab and/or Punjab (region) and major part of Hindi Heartland also known as Hindi Belt.
Wikimedians of the North India are dedicated to work for the Wikimedia (free knowledge) movement. The group will organise and unify the community in North Indian region and collaborate with Wikimedians, and line institutions of other regions with focused approach.
Reasons and justification
India is home of almost one sixth of entire humanity.The country is very rich in cultural and lingual diversity.It has very vast geographical area therefore need Zonal approach to co ordinate, organize and unify the community as well as related activities. Hindi is native language of large number of people living in this region. Punjabi, Kashmiri, Rajasthani, Urdu are other major languages spoken in this region. In addition to it, the Chandigarh / Chandigarh capital region alone has adequate linguistic diversity. It has native speakers of almost each of the major language spoken in India. However each of the such language community may not be able to establish individual Users Group hence there is a need to create a Users Group to unify them. It may also serve as an umbrella to all present and future Wiki-communities of the region.
To set up a physical body as an official User Group of Wikimedians living in, around or connected to North India with the following objectives:
- Organise and unify the community and in North Culture Zone of India.
- Develop the Chandigarh capital region as a hub of Wikimedia activities to promote the movement especially in the Northern Indian region.
- Increase content about North India with more focused approach.
- Organise promote and unify diverse lingual communities of the region.
- Promote,increase, enrich and exchange multicultural and multilingual content by utilizing cultural and lingual diversity of the community/communities available in the region.
- Collaborate with other regions, to promote the Wikimedia projects and Wikipedia movement on the whole.
- Engage the community and to bring new contributors for the User Group and Wikimedia projects;
- Collaborate and cooperate with other individuals, government and non government institutions and communities to promote free knowledge movement.
- Making outreach in other areas having sufficient speakers of languages (using similar or different scripts) of the North India.
- Addressing and bridging divide/divergence of scripts of the same language(s), within and outside the area of operation.
- Promoting relatively less developed and under represented language(s)/Wikipedia(s) in North India such as Kashmiri, Kinauri, Bagri and Dogri etc.
- Unifying so far unorganised Wiki communities in the region.
- Reactivating the inactive and passive Wikipedians in the region.