Wikipedia Peace Process
|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.|
|This is an essay. It expresses the opinions and ideas of some Wikimedians but may not have wide support. This is not policy on Meta, but it may be a policy or guideline on other Wikimedia projects. Feel free to update this page as needed, or use the discussion page to propose major changes.
The Wikipedia Peace Process is the almost-certainly-futile attempt to de-escalate and possibly even find rules to end the Wikipedia Vicious Cycle and possibly reduce other threats and avoid some of the worst worst cases.
Comment on this process here, even/especially if you think it's futile. Say why.
Two consequences of the Wikipedia Vicious Cycle might be 1) the small editorial clique dominating the wikipedia and being self-appointed censors and 2) contributors flying away in disgust.
- make sysops be sysops in turns. So they can realise the uncomfortable situation of a non-sysop; so they will maybe behave more nicely next time they are sysop. But likely, sysops will fight against this proposition which remove them their godpower
- make most contributors sysops (as soon as they have demonstrated they are not bots or pure vandals); when everyone shares the same power, abuse of power is less fun (this is close to current policy)
- make sysops use up most of their time on other sysops; equal power teaches less abusive behavior. Sysops could cooperate to "tame" an abusive sysop.
- find contributors with a special "soothing" talents, who would take care of comforting unhappy contributors threatening to fly away. This is different from a moderator who is involved in fights and try to help others resolve their disagreement. These would be the ones carefully avoiding fights, but able to monitor "happiness" (or detect "frustration level"), and to help distressed contributors to get past that bad moment. Ideally, female with strong mothering abilities.
- develop a method of integral consensus which makes people spend more time adding information than deleting it and let the "ideas compete -and people cooperate"... more soon...