Wikipedia for Peace
Wikipedia for Peace is a movement that wants to strengthen peace on Wikipedia and its sister projects. We think that Wikipedia needs more and better content on social movements, justice and peace in general - and it needs more people who are active in these movements to contribute to Wiki projects. We are Wikipedia editors and/or peace activists and most of our projects are cooperations between Wikimedia chapters and NGOs that work with peace and human rights. We organize community projects where people active in social and peace movements and Wikipedia editors come together in an international atmosphere and add content to Wiki projects. We organize for example workshops at queer film festivals and pride parades, we write articles on female peace activists or about refuge and persecution.
The project started off in 2015 in Vienna with the help of Wikimedia Austria. So far, we organized or plan to organize projects in Austria, Germany, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Tunisia thanks to the help of Wikimedia Austria, Wikimedia Germany, Wikimedia Spain, Wikimedia Sweden, Wikimedia Switzerland, Service Civil International and others.
So far (July 2020), more than 200 people from 30 countries have participated in Wikipedia for Peace, written or improved more than 995 Wikipedia articles in 32 languages, edited lots of Wikidata items and uploaded countless new media to Wikimedia Commons.
Projects so far
- Wikipedia for Peace: Queer : Youth camp in Austria with participants from Austria, Sweden, France, Tunisia, Armenia, Poland and Spain, once the pandemic is over
- Wikipedia for Peace 2015: The first camp, organised in Vienna.
- Wikipedia for Peace 2016: The second camp, organised in Jenbach (Austria). The topic was environmental justice.
- Wikipedia for Peace 2017: Kick-off: A training/seminar in Vienna from March 17-21, funded by Erasmus+ (European Commission). People from all around Europe and beyond gathered to develop the movement further and to start up new projects in 2017.
- Wikipedia for Peace Madrid World Pride: A camp on LGBT issues, organised by InterPride and Wikimedia Spain.It took place in Madrid in July 2017.
- Wikipedia for Peace Berlin 2017: A camp by SCI Germany and Wikimedia Germany, that took place in Berlin from July 4-18 2017. People from all around the world focused on the topic persecution and refuge.
- Wikipedia for Peace Jenbach 2017: A camp by SCI Austria and Wikimedia Austria, that took place in Jenbach (Austria) in July 2017. The topic will be women who fought/fight for peace and justice.
- Wikipedia for Peace Switzerland 2018: A camp by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia CH, taking place on Mont Soleil in March 2018.
- Wikipedia for Peace Europride Stockholm 2018: A multi- day editathon on LGBT issues, organized with the help of the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia Austria, Wikimedia Germany and Wikimedia Sweden.
- Wikipedia for Peace Tunis 2019: An international meet-up of Wikipedians on peace issues in cooperation with local NGOs in Tunisia.
- Wikipedia for Peace Switzerland 2019: A camp by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia CH, took place on Mont Soleil 26th April till 5th of May 2019
- Wikipedia for Peace/Europride Vienna 2019: Multi-day edit-a-thon on LGBT+ topics, organized with the help of Wikimedia Austria. 11th-16th June 2019
- Wikipedia for Peace/We can edit! Austria 2019: Youth camp in Austria from 2-10 August 2019 around editing women biographies. For participants between 18-30 years from Austria, Spain, Germany and Armenia.
- Wikipedia for Peace/Online Climate Justice 2020: 2-day online camp with the climate justice working group of SCI Germany, 25-26 April 2020
- Wikipedia for Peace/No More War 2020: Online camp on antimilitarism organised by Wikimedia Switzerland and SCI Switzerland, 12-19 June 2020.
- Wikipedia for Peace: A Centenary of Peace Activism: Online camp on peace activism in the 20th century organised by Stowarzyszenie Jeden Świat (SCI Poland) and Wikimedia Poland, 20-22 June 2020.
- Wikipedia for Peace/Writing about SCI History 2020: Online camp on the history of SCI organised by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia Switzerland, 28 August-4 September 2020
- Wikipedia for Peace/Climate Justice 2020: Online camp on climate justice organised by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia Switzerland, 9-15 November 2020.
- Wikipedia for Peace/Women's Suffrage 2021: Online camp organised by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia Switzerland celebrating 40 years of women's suffrage in Switzerland. 1-7 February 2021.
- Wikipedia for Peace/Writing about SCI History 2021: Online camp on the history of SCI and the volunteering movement organised by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia Switzerland, 1-7 April 2021.
- Wikipedia for Peace/Climate Justice 2021: Camp in Switzerland by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia CH, taking place on Mont Soleil from 2-10 September 2021