Wikipedia for Peace
Wikipedia for Peace is a movement that wants to strengthen peace on Wikipedia and its sister projects. We think that Wikipedia needs more and better content on social movements, justice and peace in general. We are Wikipedia editors and/or peace activists and most of our projects are cooperations between Wikimedia chapters and peace organizations such as Service Civil International. So far, two writing camps took place in Austria, in 2015 and 2016. These were community projects organized by Wikimedia Österreich and Service Civil International Austria. People from different backgrounds, most of whom are not previous Wikipedia editors, come together for about two weeks to write and edit content about topics related to peace on Wikipedia. The movement expanded to Germany in 2017, where Wikipedia for Peace Berlin 2017 with the topic "persecution and refuge" will take place in the summer of 2017 with funding by Wikimedia Deutschland and the German government. And it is expanding further, having been granted funding by the European Commission for training new community organizers from all around Europe (and beyond) in March 2017. Several plans for camps and other projects in 2017/2018 take shape already.
- Wikipedia for Peace 2015: The first camp, organised in Vienna.
- Wikipedia for Peace 2016: The second camp, organised in Jenbach (Austria). The topic was environmental justice.
- Wikipedia for Peace 2017: Kick-off: A training/seminar in Vienna from March 17-21, funded by Erasmus+ (European Commission). People from all around Europe and beyond gathered to develop the movement further and to start up new projects in 2017.
- Wikipedia for Peace Madrid World Pride: A camp on LGBT issues, organised by InterPride and Wikimedia Spain.It took place in Madrid in July 2017.
- Wikipedia for Peace Berlin 2017: A camp by SCI Germany and Wikimedia Germany, that took place in Berlin from July 4-18 2017. People from all around the world focused on the topic persecution and refuge.
- Wikipedia for Peace Jenbach 2017: A camp by SCI Austria and Wikimedia Austria, that took place in Jenbach (Austria) in July 2017. The topic will be women who fought/fight for peace and justice.
- Wikipedia for Peace Switzerland 2018: A camp by SCI Switzerland and Wikimedia CH, taking place on Mont Soleil in March 2018.
- Wikipedia for Peace Europride Stockholm 2018: A multi- day editathon on LGBT issues, organized with the help of the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia Austria, Wikimedia Germany and Wikimedia Sweden.
- Wikipedia for Peace Tunis 2019: An international meet-up of Wikipedians on peace issues in cooperation with local NGOs.