This is an old construction page of Wikizine.
Do not edit it.
To read old versions of Wikizine use the archives.To subscribe to Wikizine see here. To report news Talk page.
Report your news here.
****************************************** __ __ _ _ _ _ / / /\ \ (_) | _(_)___(_)_ __ ___ \ \/ \/ / | |/ / |_ / | '_ \ / _ \ \ /\ /| | <| |/ /| | | | | __/ \/ \/ |_|_|\_\_/___|_|_| |_|\___| .org Year: 2011 Week: 37 Number: 127 ****************************************** An independent internal news bulletin for the members of the Wikimedia community //////////////////////////////////////////
- [Editorial] - As Walter said in the previous edition, I took initiative and there are some changes in the Wikizine concept. But, more about them on Friday, in Talk Edition of Wikizine! Milos.
- [Your reports] - Post your news for the next edition of Wikizine on Meta or in our Google form.
Request for Comments
- [ISO 639-1 => ISO 639-3] - User:とある白い猫 has started discussion about moving Wikimedia projects with ISO 639-1 code in the name (like "en") to ISO 639-3 code (like "eng"). The discussion was held in 2008 on Bugzilla, as well.
- [Wiki Loves Monuments] - Wiki Loves Monuments launched last week. Press release published: Make European Cultural Heritage Accessible to the World.
- [Wikidroid for Wikipedia] - Positive analysis about (likely) proprietary software "Wikidroid for Wikipedia" published on Android Pit.
- [Image filter "referendum" over] - It said to us what we already know: Wikimedians are multicultural and want to allow themselves to change their mind. However, no consensus emerged in relation to the most important question: should images be filtered at all? The survey questions were not asked in a form allowing "yes/no" answers; participants were asked to indicate the importance of some features on a scale. "Referendum" turnout was around 3%: ~700,000 emails were sent to eligible users, ~24,000 respondents expressed their opinions. (In comparison, Board elections have 10-15% turnout.) The next step is to analyze those numbers.
- [GLAM report] - WMF's GLAM initiative published August 2011 reports from USA, UK, Canada, Spain, Germany, Mexico and Israel.
- [Wikipedia Editor Satisfaction Index] - Mani Pande and Ayush Khanna from WMF introduced a new measurement, the Wikipedia Editor Satisfaction Index.
- [WMF representatives in chapters' boards?] - The initiative for Wikimedia Brazil presented the idea to have a WMF appointed member of their chapter Board. After Ray Saintonge noted that it's not quite regular, Jimmy Wales supported the idea, which, in turn, sparked long discussion about (un)acceptable WMF influence over chapters.
- [Gender Bias] - In the Volume 5 for 2011, International Journal of Communication published a paper by Joseph Reagle and Lauren Rhue called "Gender Bias in Wikipedia and Britannica".
- [Investigating editing anxiety in new users] - A project by Dr. Benjamin R. Cowan and Professor Russell Beale has been added to the Research directory.
- [Research committee meeting] - RCom held a meeting on September 2nd. Notes from the meeting are available on Wikimedia Etherpad.
- [Virtual community research] - Stuart Easterling, WMF Virtual Community History Fellow published an update on Virtual community history research of Wikipedia in Spanish.
- [Wikipedia Signpost] - New edition of Wikipedia Signpost has been published. In this edition you can find stories: Riding with WikiProject London Transport, The copyright crisis, and why we should care, Britannica and Wikipedia like "apples and chairs", Should anyone who's anyone get an article? etc.
Events and meetups
- [21 August - 6 October] - Stewards election.
- [21 August - 6 October] - Questions to candidates.
- [15 September - 6 October] - Voting.
- [10 September] - Wiki Takes Amsterdam will be held on September 10th.
- [10 September] - Kolkata7 meetup
- [11 September] - London 49 meetup
- [14 September] - Workshop for GLAMs at Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, UK will be held on September 14th.
- [14 September] - Amical Viquipèdia and Foundation Joan Miró organize the contest for improving articles about Joan Miró, on September 14th.
- [14-16 September] - [New Orleans Hackathon] - New Orleans Hackathon will take place between October 14th and 16th.
- [15 September] - Wiki Wildlife Bristol, an event focused on writing about endangered species for Wikipedia, will take place on September 15th.
- [16 September] - Hong Kong 57 meetup
- [17 September] - Wikipedia Takes Barcelona will be held on September 17th.
- [17 September] - Wiki Takes Amersfoort (Netherlands) will take place on September 17th.
- [17 September] - Wikipedia takes Fremantle (Australia) will be held on September 17th.
- [17 September] - Manchester meetup
- [17 September] - Berkeley Wikipedia Meetup
- [24 September] - Wiki Takes de Zaan (Netherlands) will be held on September 24th.
- [24-25 September] - Polish Wikipedia community, supported by Wikimedia Polska, is going to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the project (founded on September 26, 2001) with a conference to be held on September 24-25, in Poznan, Poland.
- [30 September] - The last day of the project Wiki Loves Monuments for this year is September 30th.
- Meetups are filled from Wikipedia:Meetup page at English Wikipedia. Please, add your meetup there and it will be published by Wikizine. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup)
- GLAM-related events are held on Outreach Wiki. If you add your GLAM-related event there, it will be published in Wikizine. (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Events)
- For other events, please post them on our events page or send us email with short description of your event. (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine/Events)
////////////////////////////////////////// @@@@@@@@ Wikizine seeks editors @@@@@@@@@ °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° Editor(s): Millosh Corrector(s): Nathan Support: Walter Contact: http://report.wikizine.org Website: http://www.wikizine.org °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° @@@@@@@@@ Wikizine seeks editors @@@@@@@@ ////////////////////////////////////////// Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to, correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed. Some content can be highly inspired or directly copied from other sources. Those sources are listed above at "Sources-Attributions". Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]]. Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/