Yoruba Wikimedians User Group
Yoruba Wikimedians User Group are group of Yoruba language Wikimedians committed to develop, improve and promote Yoruba language Wikipedia, and other Wikimedia projects that are related to the Yoruba Wikimedia projects like Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons and Mediawiki, Nigerian pidgin in incubator and Wikimedia projects on topics related to Yoruba language, the Yoruba people, the states of Western Nigeria. We share the ideal of free access to knowledge in local languages. We aim to promote the use of Yoruba language related Wikimedia projects through various outreach efforts and to support people in western Nigeria to contribue to knowledge in Yoruba language.
Our objectives includes but not limited to:
- Promoting Yoruba Wikipedia and other Yoruba language related Wikimedia projects
- Increasing Yoruba related contents on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Recruiting native speaker, scholars and teachers of Yoruba language.
- Partnering with Yoruba language departments in various universities in Nigeria
- Partnering with Yoruba cultural based institutions across the country and diaspora
- Participates in various Yoruba festivals, such as Egungun festivals, Ogun festivals, Esu festivals, Igunuko festivals etc so as to get the contents on Wikimedia commons
- Increase the quality of existing article on Yoruba Wikipedia
- Increase the quality of Yoruba related contents on other Wikimedia projects
- To support the creation, development, growth and free distribution of Yoruba related educational materials
- Yoruba Wikipedia edit-a-thons in Yoruba language departments in various universities in Nigeria
- Wiki Loves Food and any other contest except the ones already organized by Wikimedia User Group Nigeria.
- Yoruba festivals photo-walks
- Content translation contests
- Yoruba Wikipedia Library
- Training on how to contribute to other Wikimedia projects including Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, MediaWiki and Nigerians pidgin (currently in incubator)
- Wikipedia Education Program that would primarily focus on Yoruba language.
In October 2018, the group organized a two-days workshop funded by Wikimedia Foundation to trained participants on how to contribute to Yoruba language Wikipedia. The event was a success and over 30 articles where contributed by participants of the event. The event took place at Lagos State University.
This is our proposed planned activities the next 6 month in the year 2019. However, any of the proposed plan may change
- Monthly meeting (30 June 2019)
- Courtesy visit to Yoruba language department of some selected university in Nigeria (10 July - 28 July 2019)
- Yoruba Wikipedia Translation-athon (27th August - 30th August 2019)
- Lunchin of Wikimedians Yoruba User Group (September 2019)
- Training for new members (October 2019)
- Wiki Loves Yoruba Actors (December 2019)
- User:Agbalagba (Coordinator))
- User:T Cells
- User:Olaniyan Olushola
- User:Ogunmakinju magnus
You can join the group by subscribing the the group's mailing list at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-yo