Grants:WM PH/Software Freedom Day Philippines 2011/Report
Software Freedom Day is the international commemoration of Free/Open Source Software (FOSS), free high quality alternatives to proprietary software ranging from operating system to application that people would use at home, in the office or at school. Hundreds to almost thousands of organizations worldwide are celebrating SFD every year. SFD is an outreach day where we inspire newcomers to the community with the values and quality of free software and communicate the broader issues of software freedom through a variety of activities. Various relevant and exciting IT topics are presented and discussed during the event. This event shares the Wikimedia Foundation's vision of spreading free and open sourced knowledge in each country in the entire globe. The celebrations in the Philippines were held at the University of Santo Tomas, Asia's Oldest University and was hosted by the Computer Professionals Union and the UST Computer Science Society on September 17, 2011.
Project Goal 
The goal of this project is to allow Wikimedia, through Wikimedia Philippines, to engage key players in the local IT industry, allowing them to learn more about what Wikimedia has to offer and what they can do to help the movement prosper, both locally and abroad.
Description of actual activities 
Wikimedia Philippines, through a Wikimedia Foundation grant, has sponsored this event and has attracted hundreds of students at its booth. Jojit Ballesteros, its president, discussed free culture through Wikipedia at its two plenary venues, Beato Angelico (College of Architecture) Hall and AMV (College of Accountancy) Hall. Lucky participants in the event receive souvenirs like Wikimedia Philippines signature fans, DVD that contains the Wikipedia offline Encyclopedia and its bookshelf project, and Wikipedia 10 Commemorative Pins. WMPH also had an opportunity to talk with other open source groups, web developers, freelance writers, educators and Rep. Teddy Casiño of the Philippine House of Representatives (Congress).
- June 2011 - Call for Participation. 8th Software Freedom Day celebration was announced by its local host, Computer Professionals Union. Wikimedia Philippines decides to join in the year's event.
- July 2, 2011 - First meeting at the CPU office in Project 4, Quezon City. Josh Lim, then as WMPH president and Jojit Ballesteros, then as WMPH vice president participated. It discussed the event, what was done in its previous editions, and plans for its 2011 edition.
- August 6, 2011 - Second meeting at the CPU office. Butch Bustria, its project leader, participated in the meeting. It discussed the preparations to the event. UST Computer Science Society will be co-hosting the event.
- August 7, 2011 - WMPH formally submitted request for grant to the Wikimedia Foundation.
- August 14, 2011 - After answering questions from the grant evaluators, the grant was approved by the WMF.
- August 27, 2011 - During the Wikimedia Kapihan Manila Meetup 14 in Taguig City, the WMPH together with the CPU discussed plans for the event. WMPH formally signified its intention to sponsor the event.
- September 3, 2011 - Third and final meeting at the UST Roque Ruaño (College of Engineering) Building, hosted by the UST CSS. Jojit Ballesteros, WMPH president, Butch Bustria, project lead, Eugene Villar, Relly Bautista, Bel Ballesteros were present in the meeting. It laid out the event plan. The online reservations has reached more than 1600 entries.
- September 9, 2011 WMPH project lead Butch Bustria went to CPU office to hand over the discs that will be used in the event. Over 200 discs will be given away.
- September 17, 2011 UST.
- 8:30 AM Ingress Period. WMPH set up its booth and many students lined up on its booth at the AMV Hall.
- 9:30 AM Jojit Ballesteros talked about Free Culture at the Beato Angelico Hall
- 11:00 AM Mr. Ballesteros had a similar talk at the AMV Hall.
- 11:30 AM Congressman Freddie Tinga of Taguig City, chairman of the Information and Communications Technology Committee of the House of Representatives made a keynote speech at the AMV Hall.
- 12:10 PM WMPH talked to Congressman Teddy Casiño, a legislator who advocated Free and Open Source Software about the status of online works of government and the Freedom of Information bill.
- 1:20 PM WMPH Board member Eugene Villar talked about OpenStreetMap at the UST Roque Ruaño Building Auditorium.
- 3:00 PM WMPH used the idle period to talk with educators, freelance writers, small scale entrepreneurs, students, and other professionals about upcoming and planned Wikimedia Philippines projects.
- 5:00 PM Engress period.
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
The SFD completed with over 2000 participants that shared a vision of free and open community. With the greater reach of this event, the organization looks forward of having longer relationship with CPU in project collaboration and outreach projects. Similarly, the event drew an increase invitation to school tours which the WMPH organization plans to participate.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
The organization had worked better this year with a more organized plan in handling these events. Though increased editor participation through this event wont be felt right away, it has however increased its awareness of localization of wikipedia and the Wikimedia outreach programs.
Expense Report 
Detail of expenditures:
- Sponsorship package
Date Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks 2011-09-03 Gold sponsorship package O.R. 0368 (p. 1) 15,000.00 Total 15,000.00
- Promotional materials and other expenses
Date Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks 2011-09-05 Promotional materials 200 pcs Souvenir fans S.I. 5963 (p. 2) 1,800.00 2011-09-05 CD sticker labels printing S.I. 115254 (p. 3) 3,962.50 2011-09-07 Blank DVD-Rs, CD envelopes C.I. 326919 (p. 4) 3,330.00 2011-09-16 CD envelopes C.I. 328984 (p. 5) 120.00 2011-09-16 Blank DVD-Rs, security lock C.I. 329147 (p. 6) 1,300.00 2011-08-13 Other expenses Mobile internet credit S.I. 21093 (p. 7) 490.00 2011-09-03 Meals during meeting with SFD organizers C.I. 4363 (p. 8) 695.00 2011-09-17 Meals during event O.R. 031001100191007 (p. 9) 665.00 2011-09-17 Printing, photocopying and other supplies Petty cash 52.00 2011-09-17 Volunteer stipend – Jearson Carillo Payment voucher with ID (p. 10) 500.00 2011-09-17 Transportation – Butch Bustria (Project lead) Petty cash 200.00 Total 13,114.50
- Funding received on 2011-08-31.
Actual Cost in USD
($1.00 = ₱42.42)
Remarks Sponsorship package 15,000.00 15,000.00 353.61 Promotional material and other expenses 16,500.00 13,114.50 309.16 Total 31,500.00 28,114.50 662.77
Amount underspent in US Dollars:
- USD 79.80 (PHP 3,385.50)
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?
- Yes, remaining funds will be used for the commercial printing of Wikimedia Philippines' 2010 Annual Report, which costs around ₱4,900.00 for 50 copies of it.