Wikimedia Ghana User Group is a team of self-motivated individuals, who regularly help improve articles on Wikimedia Foundation project websites, such as Wikipedia, with the motive of promoting free and open access to knowledge locally and beyond.
Our mission is to promote the distribution of free educational material and media in Ghana and globally via the project websites of the WMF, towards the establishment of a local chapter.
Currently empty. Edit this portion to propose a logo
- Nkansahrexford (talk) 06:37, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
- Sandiooses (talk) 09:32, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
- Enock4seth (talk) 14:43, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
- Flixtey (talk) 14:44, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
- Akiwumi (talk) 15:37, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
- Seedeblay (talk) 16:38, 28 June 2014 (UTC)
- Quarshietimothy (talk) 12:51, 1 July 2014 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 12:25, 2 July 2014 (UTC)
- Jaward (talk)
A mailing list for the group exist for Ghana for discussions relating to activities happening in the group.
A Google plus, Twitter account and a Facebook group are active to promote Wikimedia projects and spread information among the Wikimedia community in Ghana.
As Wikimedia Ghana User Group, we hold these aims which will also be same when we become officially chaptered:
- To aid and encourage people to collect, develop and disseminate knowledge and other educational, cultural and historic content in the public domain or under a license that allows everyone to freely use, distribute and modify said content without the payment of royalties.
- To collaborate with public and private Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums in making their holdings more broadly and freely available to those interested in an effort to preserve the heritage of Ghana.
- To make use of, encourage the use of, and instruct people in the use of free and open source information resources; either electronic or printed for the advancement of education.
- To encourage the development and release of these materials in the languages of Ghana including but not limited to Akan, Ewe, Ga and others
Purpose of the User Group
- To represent the Wikimedia Foundation to the Ghanaian Wikimedia contributing community
- To promote Wikimedia projects and free content in general and to encourage the use of Wikimedia resources in education.
- To recruit technically and non-technically minded people to participate to Wikimedia projects.
- Organisation of conventions, conferences, meetings, workshops, contests, etc.
Events & Projects
For a full list of events and projects, see our page for that. Events and Projects Page
- Wiki Loves Something
- Wikipedia Education Program
- Wikipedia Zero
- Ghana Goes Live
- Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors
- Open Street Maps Editing
- Wiki Loves Monuments Ghana 2012 - Related Blog
- Wikimedia Outreach in Ghana
- Barcamp Events participation
- English to Akan translation on Google Translation Toolkit. Purpose was to ease translation on ak.wikipedia.org. Currently on hold
- Wiki Loves Earth ongoing
- See more of our projects here
Kindly send your emails to nkansahrexfordgmail.com and you will be contacted as soon as possible or send a message to our mailing list which is Wikimedia-gh@lists.Wikimedia.org