||This language has been verified as eligible.
The language is eligible for a project, which means that the subdomain can be created once there is an active community and a localized interface, as described in the language proposal policy. You can discuss the creation of this language project on this page. (See an unofficial analysis of this request.)
- Language details: Amharic (አማርኛ, ISO 639-2 am)
- Editing community: ????
- List your user name if you're interested in editing the wiki. Add "N" next to your
name if you are a native speaker of this language.
- Relevant pages: development wiki project
- External links:
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.
Replace this line with your opening argument in favor of the new project.
Arguments in favor
- Support Support Official Language of Ethiopia, nation of over 80 million population
- With the only native African script
- With a need for a more open and democratically created news outlet
- Due to prosecution in the country most of the free press media is closed and journalists are in jail or in exile. This journalists could have a stable medium to practice their trade in a free environment.
- thriving wikipedia and wiktionary community (the wiktionary though shows only few hundred entries the group has concentrated mainly in developing a working computer glossary to help with localization of computer related translations. In that regard there are more than 3000 entries already translated. see .)--Teferra 22:54, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support It looks like I never voted here, although I did provide a banner for this project (below).... I think there is nothing wrong with starting small and working towards greatness. Hopefully this site can have some quality news for the Amharic speaking communities of the world. Nesnad 13:59, 15 October 2009 (UTC)
- Oppose Oppose Please make first the Amharic Wikipedia much larger before starting a News Spin-off. --Jeroen 02:06, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- Oppose Oppose Mikhailov Kusserow (talk) 04:07, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
- This request is already eligible.. There are no valid reasons to deny this project once its requirements are met. Thanks, GerardM 21:22, 15 October 2009 (UTC)
Currently the status for Amharic is "am አማርኛ 100.00% 83.17% 3.80%". This is an EXCELLENT starting point. We are also quite happy to pay for the completion of the localisation of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation. Please check Betawiki for details. Thanks GerardM 13:24, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 80.58% of the MediaWiki messages and 4.65% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising at Betawiki. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 10:29, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- I wasn't sure how to say anything, but I provided a localized version of the WikiNews logo. It's not perfect maybe, but it's more language specific. (It uses the Amharic ዊ (wi) in the logo etc) I didn't know how to replace it in the incubator, so I just provided a link on the test page. I think I did that in the wrong way? Anyway, the image is ... Welcome Ethiopia Wikinews! If there are any comments, direct them to my username on English Wikipedia. Cheers, Nesnad 15:09, 9 October 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 69.45% of the MediaWiki messages and 3.10% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 11:06, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 77.72% of the MediaWiki messages and 4.43% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 22:04, 17 February 2009 (UTC)