||Discuss the creation of this language project on this page. Votes will be ignored when judging the proposal. Please provide arguments or reasons and be prepared to defend them (see the Language proposal policy).
The language committee needs to verify the language is eligible to be approved.
- Check that the project does not already exist (see list).
- Obtain an ISO 639 code
- Ensure the requested language is sufficiently unique that it could not exist on a more general wiki.
- Ensure that there are a sufficient number of native editors of that language to merit an edition in that language.
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
||Example / Explanation
||kfy (SIL, Ethnologue)
||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...
||Language name in English
||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...
||"Wikipedia" in your language
||usually the same as the project name
|Project talk namespace
||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)
||Files should be uploaded to Commons, but if you want, you can enable local file uploading.
Notes: (1) files on Commons can be used on all wikis; (2) this setting can be changed afterwards; (3) uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info
); (4) localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons
||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)
|Default project timezone
||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)
||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"
||Anything else that should be set
- w:Kumaoni or Kumauni is the native tongue of about 2 million IndiansCensus of India living primarily in the w:Kumaon in the state of w:Uttarakhand, but also spread all across India.
- It will be a great opportunity for them to acess the vast knowledge available at Wikipedia in their own tongue.
- Vast amounts of folk knowledge will be able to enter the network.
- There is adequate published literature available in Kumauni oldest being
- Ganga Datt Upreti's Proverbs and Folklore of Kumaun and Garhwal (Lodiana, 1894); the same author's Dialects of the Kumaun Division (Almora, 1900); and Jwala Datt Joshi's translation of Dandin's Sanskrit Dasa Kumara Carita (Almora, 1892).
- A local poet who lived about a century ago, Gumani Kavi by name, was the author of verses written in a peculiar style, and now much admired. Each verse consists of four lines, the first three being in Sanskrit, and the fourth a Hindi or Kumauni proverb. A collection of these, edited by Rewa Datt Upreti, was published in the Indian Antiquary for 1909 (pp. 177 seq.) under the title of Gumani-niti.
- New literature has been mentioned in the article Kumaoni of the English Wikipedia.
Arguments in favour 
- Strong Support Kumaoni is a language spoken by over 2 million people about 20% of which are totally monolingual KUMAUNI: a language of India
Books are written in it, there are radio programmes and a blosomming music industry  Also plenty of Dictionaries English to Kumaoni And Hindi to Kumaoni.Kumaoni Dictionary by Dr. Sher Singh BishtKumaun 12:39, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
- Strong support Kumaoni the mother tongue of w: Kumauni people should be supported for it has a well defined standardised grammer and a lot of creative work is being done in it of late so it will help people if knowledge is available in it through a powerful source like Wikipedia.Kalikumaun 13:57, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
- Strong SupportKumaoni wikipedia for the addition of articles which deal with various socio-cultural aspect of life in the Himalayas.H728 12:32, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
- Support Written in w: Devnagari Kumaoni has easily available commited contributors for the project in long term.it should be noted that all the people living in or outside uttranchal(uttrakhand) desperately want their genrations to give respect to their culture and this will be a step towards it and a respect towards their sentiments.
Arguments against 
Other discussion 
AlmoraOnline - Know more about Kumaon